On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 10:56:12PM -0300, Laura Lazzati wrote: > Then I realized about it and only found it as a verb in American > English . Maybe that is why I thought it was a typo. Anyone whose > mother tongue is English can shed some light? Thanks for reverting :) The definition of 'effect' as a verb in the English wiktionary [0] is simple: "To make or bring about; to implement." In my opinion, using 'effect' in this way demonstrates a very high level of fluency, even for native English speakers. You would not use it unless you knew that your audience was highly educated or 'well-read' in English. You only use 'effect' as a verb when you 'make or bring about' something that is abstract or intangible. You do not 'effect' a house or a bowl of soup; you make, create, or build them. Merriam-Webster [1] includes a definition which helps us understand the usage in the Guix manual: "to put into operation". Remember, the manual says, "This effects all the configuration specified in config.scm: user accounts, system services, et cetera". If you change that sentence to use the Merriam-Webster definition, I think the meaning is clear: "This puts into operation all the configuration specified in config.scm ..." [0] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/effect#Verb [1] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/effect And some extra reading, another good explanation. I agree with them that this usage is "not common, but acceptable in rare cases." https://web.ku.edu/~edit/affect.html