On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 04:06:53PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote: > On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 07:38:21PM +0000, Christopher Baines wrote: > > So, if -T was used to compress the data, then it sounds like it'll work > > to decompress it. I guess this adds a little more uncertainty to the > > benefit of this change, as the impact is dependent on the way the source > > data is compressed. > > Right. When parallel decompression is implemented, I think we should > enable it in order to get some benefit from upstream tarballs that may > have been created with multi-threaded compression. > > However, we probably won't be able to use the parallel compression > within Guix because it is apparently not deterministic: > > If the tarball is compressed in parallel then it can be decompressed in parallel. As for compressing in parallel, it *might work* to pass it through our non-bootstrap tar for 'tar --sort=name' and then pass it through xz -T(pick-a-num). -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted