Hi Mathieu, welcome back! > I picked up the "Graphical installer" task. After studying the branch > wip-installer-2, I choose to rewrite it for multiple reasons: > > * I found the guile-ncurses approach too low level and think that many > bugs in the current installer could be avoided with a higher level > library. Yeah, it's also why I didn't really continue it except for finishing what's already there. It's just to low-level. I mean it can be done the low-level way, but widget libraries are a solved problem and the "redraw it only now" stuff is seriously 1980s. > * As suggested by Ludo[1], using a network manager seems to be a better > idea that calling iw, ip and other low level tools. I agree. Note that back then network-manager was not used in guix. > * I prefer relying on a Guile-parted library rather than calling cfdisk > and again interfacing with various partioning tools. I agree. I've been meaning to write parted bindings for guile, but I got side-tracked with https://github.com/daym/guile-gcc-unit which can extract prototypes out of gcc source files (in order to automate wrapper generation). Now I'm motivated to pick it up again. Maybe I should just have written the bindings manually - I would have been done a long time ago ;-) > Based on this, I have a first draft for a new installer here[4]. I plan > to push it on a wip savannah branch soon. Most of the basic features are > implemented and the last missing part it the partioning one (also the > bigger ...). Cool!