all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* installing guixsd on an arm device
@ 2018-08-19  8:05 Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-08-19  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi guix!

I'm trying to install GuixSD on a cubietruck. For that, I installed a
foreign distro, installed guix using the binary method, pulled to the
latest version and I eventually ran "guix system init /etc/config.scm
/".

After that, I rebooted and I can use the HDMI cable to see what's
happening. The uboot screen appears and boots my kernel alright. The
issue I have is that, a few seconds after the kernel is booted, it
freezes. I tried to use a usb keyboard, but it wasn't recognised (it
didn't light up and nothing appeared on the screen). Here is a photo of
what is on the screen when it is frozen:

http://rennes.lepiller.eu/cubietruck.jpg [732 KB]

and here is the config file I tried to use:

http://rennes.lepiller.eu/cubietruck.scm

I don't see any error message. I've tried letting the server powered on
for a few hours, and nothing happened.

* Re: installing guixsd on an arm device
@ 2018-08-20 17:59 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-08-20 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Julien,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> I'm trying to install GuixSD on a cubietruck. For that, I installed a
> foreign distro, installed guix using the binary method, pulled to the
> latest version and I eventually ran "guix system init /etc/config.scm
> /".
>
> After that, I rebooted and I can use the HDMI cable to see what's
> happening. The uboot screen appears and boots my kernel alright. The
> issue I have is that, a few seconds after the kernel is booted, it
> freezes. I tried to use a usb keyboard, but it wasn't recognised (it
> didn't light up and nothing appeared on the screen). Here is a photo of
> what is on the screen when it is frozen:
>
> http://rennes.lepiller.eu/cubietruck.jpg [732 KB]
>
> and here is the config file I tried to use:
>
> http://rennes.lepiller.eu/cubietruck.scm
>
> I don't see any error message. I've tried letting the server powered on
> for a few hours, and nothing happened.

It might be worth trying an older kernel, specifically linux-libre-4.14,
by adding (kernel linux-libre-4.14) to the OS config and making sure to
import (gnu packages linux).  I just recently updated the kernel to
4.18.x, but I don't know if anyone has tried it on ARM yet.

      Mark

* Re: installing guixsd on an arm device
@ 2018-08-24 22:33   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-08-24 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> It might be worth trying an older kernel, specifically linux-libre-4.14,
> by adding (kernel linux-libre-4.14) to the OS config and making sure to
> import (gnu packages linux).  I just recently updated the kernel to
> 4.18.x, but I don't know if anyone has tried it on ARM yet.

In addition, you could ping Danny or Vagrant; I think they’ve tried
GuixSD on a variety of boards so they might know if something specific
needs to be done for the Cubietruck.

Ludo’.

* Re: installing guixsd on an arm device
@ 2018-08-25  7:09     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-08-25  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-guix

So I've tried installing guixsd with an older kernel, but I still get the same issue.