all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* commit 70f57ae00525f6fc919f62aea647a33b29d28537
@ 2018-08-16  7:30 Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-08-16  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

may I ask why you made commit
70f57ae00525f6fc919f62aea647a33b29d28537?  In John's case, okay no (C)
or © was present. But no one dictates in any guidelines which writing
is correct. I chose (C) some time ago because sometimes I use editors
without unicode support. Both writings are correct.

This commit is okay, but let's all please refrain from doing future
corrections like this.

Thanks.

* Re: commit 70f57ae00525f6fc919f62aea647a33b29d28537
@ 2018-08-16 14:53 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-08-16 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> This commit is okay, but let's all please refrain from doing future
> corrections like this.

Why?

I prefer consistency, so I’m happy with Tobias’s change.

--
Ricardo

* Re: commit 70f57ae00525f6fc919f62aea647a33b29d28537
@ 2018-08-16 15:56   ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-08-16 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Nils Gillmann

Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 227 bytes:

> Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>
> > This commit is okay, but let's all please refrain from doing future
> > corrections like this.
>
> Why?
>
> I prefer consistency, so I’m happy with Tobias’s change.
>
> --
> Ricardo

Because we also allowed more than one formats so far, including
homepages and so forth. We had no formal agreement on any format. I'm
okay with doing so once we have a real formal format, but this isn't
the case.
Discussions and commits to change copyright lines just for the sake of
making them look more uniform have a bit of the bikeshed paint feeling.
I hardly see a point in changing someones copyright line just for the
sake of a (C) or a ©.

If we as a group can come to a consent about this, then I'm okay with
whatever the outcome will be.

Then again, it is just one symbol.

* Re: commit 70f57ae00525f6fc919f62aea647a33b29d28537
@ 2018-08-16 17:03     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-08-16 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Nils,

> Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 227 bytes:
>>
>> Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>>
>> > This commit is okay, but let's all please refrain from doing future
>> > corrections like this.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I prefer consistency, so I’m happy with Tobias’s change.
[…]

> Because we also allowed more than one formats so far, including
> homepages and so forth. We had no formal agreement on any format. I'm
> okay with doing so once we have a real formal format, but this isn't
> the case.
> Discussions and commits to change copyright lines just for the sake of
> making them look more uniform have a bit of the bikeshed paint feeling.
> I hardly see a point in changing someones copyright line just for the
> sake of a (C) or a ©.

I disagree.  It’s bikeshedding if we start a discussion about which
symbol is the best.

In general it is best to use whatever style is already in use in a given
existing file.  (This also applies to tabs vs spaces for *existing*
files.)

Let’s keep using the same copyright symbol that we already use in the
majority of all files: ©.

--
Ricardo

* Re: commit 70f57ae00525f6fc919f62aea647a33b29d28537
@ 2018-08-16 17:13       ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-08-16 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Nils Gillmann

Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 1.1K bytes:

> Hi Nils,
>
> > Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 227 bytes:

> >> Why?
> >>
> >> I prefer consistency, so I’m happy with Tobias’s change.
> […]
>
> > Because we also allowed more than one formats so far, including
> > homepages and so forth. We had no formal agreement on any format. I'm
> > okay with doing so once we have a real formal format, but this isn't
> > the case.
> > Discussions and commits to change copyright lines just for the sake of
> > making them look more uniform have a bit of the bikeshed paint feeling.
> > I hardly see a point in changing someones copyright line just for the
> > sake of a (C) or a ©.
>
> I disagree.  It’s bikeshedding if we start a discussion about which
> symbol is the best.
>
> In general it is best to use whatever style is already in use in a given
> existing file.  (This also applies to tabs vs spaces for *existing*
> files.)
>
> Let’s keep using the same copyright symbol that we already use in the
> majority of all files: ©.
>
> --
> Ricardo

Ok.