On Thu, 10 May 2018 15:10:00 +0200 Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Hello, > > Eric Bavier writes: > > >> + (uri (string-append > >> + "https://github.com/jmoenig/Snap--Build-Your-Own-Blocks/archive/" > >> + version ".tar.gz")) > > > > I think we're trying to stay away from Github's auto-generated tarballs > > now, because they are not guaranteed to remain the same over time. > > > > Unfortunately this project doesn't seem to upload its own release > > tarballs. I would instead use a git checkout. > > Version is a tag, therefore a commit, so I would think it should remain > identical over time. Besides a number of packages use this (e.g., > audacity...) It's worse than that. See e.g. https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=151973450514279&w=2 Many other packages use it because the issue was only brought to light more recently. > > Granted, I'm not well-versed in Github technology. Yet, using a git > checkout slightly complicates the package, and its subsequent updates, > so I'd rather only use it if absolutely necessary. > > WDYT? I don't think it would make the package more difficult. If anything I think it could make it easier. E.g. it wouldn't need the tar and gzip inputs and wouldn't need to untar. You don't need to use a git hash at all. If the release is tagged, you can use that in the git-reference commit. E.g. a recent package I made, "ghostwriter", does this. HTH, `~Eric