Hi Ludo, On Sun, 06 May 2018 23:00:54 +0200 ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote: > >> I would not add it to ‘%desktop-services’ because I’d think it’s not a > >> very common requirement, but I don’t know. WDYT? > > > > Do we need internet in order to install GuixSD? > > > > Then modem-manager should at least be available in the installation image. > > I think this is orthogonal to the question of adding it to > ‘%desktop-services’ since the installation image doesn’t rely on > ‘%desktop-services’. True. I agree. > Nevertheless, this will all be a matter of size, usability, and > documentation. If it adds “too much” to the size of the installation > image, I’d be rather against it. Well, some way of getting to the internet eventually needs to be available somewhere. (it's fine if it's only in the installed system, so I guess compilation of everything is fine). In Austria the cellphone internet is very cheap - so almost everyone has it (and many have only that). That said, USB or Wifi tethering is common, too. I'm just trying to reduce the number of things I have to charge on the road :) GNU Linux distributions nowadays have trouble providing any kind of simple dialup installation - so it's more difficult to install GNU Linux here. I think that's ridiculous since the AT commands and PPP required to have some kind of internet didn't change sice circa 1985 - and it's small, too. (I didn't know ModemManager before I packaged it here - but it does some extra stuff like provide network card simulator integration for the extremely fast LTE modems) I still have not-so-fond memories of manually downloading a random wvdial binary and its dependencies in order to be able to install Gentoo. A normal person (TM) would just give up ;)