On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 09:30:23PM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote: > The reason I don't think it's a blocking issue, is because Chromium is > a massive project and I cannot guarantee that it will never "call > home". So while I am intent on fixing the issue, especially since it's > easy to test (chromium --user-data-dir=/tmp/foo), it's just one of many > "call home" scenarios/antifeatures. And if you enable extensions or log > in all bets are off. Even Inox, which goes great lengths to de-google > it, admits that they can't guarantee privacy. I agree with Marius here. > Other scenarios include checking for IPv6 availability, testing for > captive portal, etc. And I think it even falls back to Google DNS if > the system resolver is unresponsive. :-( I think that handling captive portals and falling back to Google DNS (or any fallback DNS) are *great* features that address common problems that most internet users can not work around on their own. I don't believe these features are forbidden by the FSDG: https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html Finally, there are several packages that automatically send data out, even in Guix. This is not a reason to exclude the software from Guix, in my opinion.