On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:36:03AM +0530, Pierre Neidhardt wrote: > >I just ran a `guix system reconfigure` yesterday and Guix pulled Linux >4.16.1. Upon reboot, my laptop's battery time had changed from 9h+ to >3h+! Quite a dramatic regression indeed... > >General usage (startup time, etc.) seems to be somewhat slower as well. > >As a test, I ran another system reconfigure, changing only the kernel >version: now on 4.14.33, I'm back to 9h+. > >Does anyone know something about this or should I reach out for the >Linux mailing list? > >Note that before installing GuixSD, I was running Void Linux with kernel >~4.14.5 (off the top of my head) and battery time was 12h+. This might >be due to the discrete Nvidia card which was completely shut off by >default, while it's now running with nouveau on GuixSD but I don't know >how to turn it off. > >Insights? I'm not aware of any regression but I'd recommend to install powertop and check, which processes are preventing CPU from switching to power saving modes. Sometimes it provides interesting results - I usually can spend like 40% more time on battery by closing Icecat and Pavucontrol. It also can help you with tuning common power management controls. Best regards, S_W