On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:50:10AM +0100, Peter Mikkelsen wrote: > Hi guix, Hi, thanks for this report! I saw your brief conversation on #guix with civodul. Unfortunately I've only been paying attention to packaging Go software with Guix, so I didn't notice this issue. > For example, after setting the environment variable GOPATH to > /home/peter/go, and creating a small hello world program in there, I > would normally be able to run 'go install' in that folder, and the > hello world binary would end up in my gopath. But on guixSD this is > not the case, since it seems like 'go install' is trying to compile > every single library provided by to go package itself, and that means > writing to the store, which is not possible. This is definitely a problem that we need to fix. However, I'm not sure where to start... I'll try debugging by checking if this works on Nix, and seeing what they do differently. > So my question is: Is there a way to prevent 'go install' compiling > things in the store, maybe by pre-compiling during installation of the > go package? Or is there another preferred way to develop go > applications on guix, since what i do now is 'go build', but that gets > really slow with larger projects, at it recompiles everything > everytime if i understand it right. The compiler should never try to write to the store; something is wrong with how we build it. Changing the subject slightly, yes, `go build` always recompiles some things: In general, for Go libraries (they call them "packages"), `go build` always discards the compiled objects. You have to use `go install` to retain them and achieve a caching speedup. For Go executable programs (called "commands"), `go build` does keep the compiled executable. To quote the docs [0]: "Build compiles the packages named by the import paths, along with their dependencies, but it does not install the results. [...] When compiling multiple packages or a single non-main package, build compiles the packages but discards the resulting object, serving only as a check that the packages can be built." https://golang.org/cmd/go/