Hi Leo, On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 18:20:01 -0500 Leo Famulari wrote: > On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:52:12PM +0100, Rutger Helling wrote: > > Hi Leo, > > > > You can find the new features at: > > https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES > > > > There are two reasons for me personally why I wanted to update: > > 1. The mpv developers only support the latest release. > > 2. The initial Vulkan support, which I've got working (x86_64 only > > for now). I can't merge it yet until core-updates is merged though. > > > > I agree having three ffmpeg versions is undesirable. However, > > looking at the release notes ("This release needs recent FFmpeg > > (newer than 3.4) due to major refactoring.") this is hopefully a > > one-time thing. > > > > When stable ffmpeg is updated we can get rid of the -git version. > > mpv is the only one using the -git version and it's been very solid > > for me, so I don't foresee problems there. Replacing ffmpeg@3.4.1 > > entirely with this -git version seems too extreme a solution to me. > > > > Hopefully that explains my rationale a bit! > > Okay, let's keep this mpv and FFmpeg. I'm always eager to update to > the latest releases of C-language programs that handle untrusted > input, and it sounds like the mpv team is moving on from mpv 0.27.0. > > Personally I think it's bad practice for mpv to depend on some random > commit of FFmpeg, but that is mpv's choice. > I agree, it's an unfortunate situation that hopefully shouldn't take too long. > In the future, please send patches that introduce unreleased versions > of widely used libraries like FFmpeg to guix-patches for review. > > The packaging guidelines say, "We usually package only the latest > version of a given free software project." [0] > I'll send a patch in next time first, sorry about any inconvenience. Hopefully this is a one-time situation though. > I interpret "latest version" to mean the latest version released in > the way that the upstream developers typically do their releases. For > FFmpeg, this is a tarball. > > Thank you very much for taking the time to explain your rationale! > > [0] > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Version-Numbers.html