all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Introducing GNUPaste
@ 2017-12-14 18:37 Kristofer Buffington
From: Kristofer Buffington @ 2017-12-14 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user, help-guix

Hello!

I am excited to share GNUPaste! This is a really simple web app
similar to paste.lisp.org built with Guile. I have a linode running it
from git on GuixSD.

https://paste.freshbakedyams.com (Please use it!)
Source: https://github.com/kristoferbuffington/gnupaste.git

Currently the frontend uses twitter bootstrap + jquery and highlightjs
from a CDN. It really doesn't need all that boilerplate. It will
definitely change in the future. GNUPaste depends on guile-wiredtiger
and guile-fibers to compile.

Ultimately I want to be able to deploy with something like:

$ guix system disk-image gnupaste-system.scm

Then boot it up in a VPS.

I need to fix some issues with autotools before it can be installed with
make. My issue is creating a consistent test-env because configure
substitutes @localstatedir@ (root/gnupaste/config.scm.in) with a
path/to/wt that is not in the build tree. I'm planning to imitate
guix.git/build-aux/test-env in that regard.

Otherwise, I would really appreciate some feature suggestions,
especially if it involves using pubstrate!

Thanks!
Kris

* Re: Introducing GNUPaste
@ 2017-12-15  9:13 ` ng0
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: ng0 @ 2017-12-15  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristofer Buffington; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Hi Kristofer,

Kristofer Buffington transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> Hello!
>
> I am excited to share GNUPaste! This is a really simple web app
> similar to paste.lisp.org built with Guile. I have a linode running it
> from git on GuixSD.

great start, I like it.
What would be really good is if there could be an API similar to
what pb (example instance: https://ptpb.pw) has.
The power of pb lies in its features and its ability to be used
from the commandline. I can simply upload the output of a command
without saving it first to a textfile - I can simply pipe it to curl.
So pb is built using flask (https://github.com/ptpb/pb).
I'd like to see (and maybe even help when I have the time) a paste web app
written in Guile that can be compared to pb.
Long text, short nonsense: One of many features I'd welcome is the ability
to pipe and paste data to the paste server.

Another useful thing: Be able to delete pastes. I've asked one of the pb
developers a long time ago and they told me that pb just keeps collecting
and you have to manually delete content in the db (or something like that),
no ability to delete pastes for an admin was implemented.

--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Introducing GNUPaste
@ 2017-12-15 11:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-12-15 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristofer Buffington; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Hi Kristofer,

Kristofer Buffington <kristoferbuffington@gmail.com> skribis:

> I am excited to share GNUPaste! This is a really simple web app
> similar to paste.lisp.org built with Guile. I have a linode running it
> from git on GuixSD.
>
> https://paste.freshbakedyams.com (Please use it!)
> Source: https://github.com/kristoferbuffington/gnupaste.git

Looks nice!

I suppose you could use ‘guile-syntax-highlight’ to add some color into
the mix.  :-)

> Ultimately I want to be able to deploy with something like:
>
> $ guix system disk-image gnupaste-system.scm
>
> Then boot it up in a VPS.

That’d be great.

Thanks for sharing!

Ludo’.

* Re: Introducing GNUPaste
@ 2017-12-15 18:14 ` Mike Gerwitz
From: Mike Gerwitz @ 2017-12-15 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristofer Buffington; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Key, Kristofer:

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 13:37:30 -0500, Kristofer Buffington wrote:
> I am excited to share GNUPaste! This is a really simple web app
> similar to paste.lisp.org built with Guile. I have a linode running it
> from git on GuixSD.

Please reconsider the use of "GNU" in the program name, since this isn't
in any way affiliated with the GNU Project.

I did notice one of your commits is titled "Initial commit prepped for
being part of the GNU project".  If you do wish to offer your software
to GNU, please see:

  https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html

We'd be happy to review it.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Introducing GNUPaste
@ 2017-12-16 15:46   ` Kristofer Buffington
From: Kristofer Buffington @ 2017-12-16 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gerwitz; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Mike Gerwitz <mtg@gnu.org> writes:

> Key, Kristofer:
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 13:37:30 -0500, Kristofer Buffington wrote:
>> I am excited to share GNUPaste! This is a really simple web app
>> similar to paste.lisp.org built with Guile. I have a linode running it
>> from git on GuixSD.
>
> Please reconsider the use of "GNU" in the program name, since this isn't
> in any way affiliated with the GNU Project.

Absolutely. I don't mean to mislead anyone with the name.

> I did notice one of your commits is titled "Initial commit prepped for
> being part of the GNU project".  If you do wish to offer your software
> to GNU, please see:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html
>
> We'd be happy to review it.

I will definitely submit it for evaluation soon. There is still some
work to be done before it's even ready to release.

Thanks,
Kristofer

* Re: Introducing GNUPaste
@ 2017-12-16 16:53   ` Kristofer Buffington
From: Kristofer Buffington @ 2017-12-16 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi Kristofer,
>
> Kristofer Buffington <kristoferbuffington@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> I am excited to share GNUPaste! This is a really simple web app
>> similar to paste.lisp.org built with Guile. I have a linode running it
>> from git on GuixSD.
>>
>> https://paste.freshbakedyams.com (Please use it!)
>> Source: https://github.com/kristoferbuffington/gnupaste.git
>
> Looks nice!
>
> I suppose you could use ‘guile-syntax-highlight’ to add some color into
> the mix.  :-)

I did not realize guile-syntax-highlight even existed. I will
investigate.

>> Ultimately I want to be able to deploy with something like:
>>
>> $ guix system disk-image gnupaste-system.scm
>>
>> Then boot it up in a VPS.
>
> That’d be great.
>
> Thanks for sharing!
>
> Ludo’.

Thanks
Kristofer

* Re: Introducing GNUPaste
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-12-17 16:02 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-12-17 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Am 14.12.2017 um 19:37 schrieb Kristofer Buffington:
> Currently the frontend uses twitter bootstrap + jquery and highlightjs
> from a CDN.

If the default is to this stull, please consider *including* it into the
software or as part of the installation procedure. Using CDN is obeying
user privacy, since it allows these CDNs to track users. Thanks.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |