Pjotr Prins transcribed 1.4K bytes: > On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 07:52:32PM +0530, Arun Isaac wrote: > > Just thinking out loud: Maybe, we need more people with commit > > access. Theoretically, anyone can review a patch, but ultimately it is > > people with commit access who will have to finally apply and push the > > patch. As the rate of submission of patches grows, this increases the > > work load on those with commit access. > > Yes. We do need to think of scaling up even if it is not perceived a > direct problem now. The faster the turn around, the better it is for > submitters and therefore the project. > > I think if we agreed that NO one can push their own commits directly > into master/gnu/packages and expand the number of committers greatly > (anyone who has successfully submitted a non-trivial package without > real comment) we can ask more people to look over the patch list. It > ain't that hard. And if someone misbehaves just revert on commit > access. > > Some people may turn out to be very active when they get the chance. > > Take a look at C4.1. Another Guix hacker pointed me to it about a year > ago. There are some solid ideas here: > > http://hintjens.com/blog:93 > > I agree with Hintjens (who was btw one of the original FOSDEM > organizers) that the more dynamic a project becomes the more > contributions it will attract. > > Keep experimenting - we can always revert on ideas. That is my motto. > > Pj. > > PS debbugs was a great step forward already. Personally among other ideas I already follow, I like the approach the Linux project has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ9Y0midtW4&feature=youtu.be http://blog.ffwll.ch/2017/01/maintainers-dont-scale.html http://blog.ffwll.ch/slides/lca-2017.pdf https://www.linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/57/ There's also some interesting links in there aswell. There are some more recent post of this maintainer at http://blog.ffwll.ch/ -- ng0 GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588 GnuPG: https://krosos.org/dist/keys/ https://www.infotropique.org https://www.krosos.org