Hartmut Goebel transcribed 1.3K bytes: > Am 07.09.2017 um 10:30 schrieb Ludovic Courtès: > > However, I don’t quite understand the use case: you’d like to hack on > > the OS declaration of the image from within the image? That sounds > > inconvenient no? > > My use case is this: > > I plan to use GuixSD for one of my systems. Prior to installing GuixSD > on real hardware, I want to test it and see how a GuixSD system would > work and feel. And taking the perspective of a non-developer, I don't > have any GuixSD yet. I may be using Fedora or Debian and want to try out > GuixSD. For this I use the QEMU image You can take any system configuration file and build a shared or free-standing vm with the "guix system" function. It's really easy this way. "guix system vm config.scm" would produce a vm and in the end you get a shell script you can use to start this vm. > My understanding is that I would have a system-definition describing > this very system and if I want to change the system-configuration, I > change the system-definition. On e.g. Debian I would apt-get software > and change config-files, while on GuixSD I would change the > system-definition and reconfigure. > > And I imagine to have the corresponding system-definition *in* the > system, since in this use-case there is no separate "main GuixSD > installation". Like when using ansible, puppet, etc. for managing *this* > system, I need the system definition *for* this system *in* this system. > > I hope this is clearer now. Wouldn't simply keeping the configuration file(s) in a git help (for a start)? This is what I do personally: https://gitweb.krosos.org/systems For infotropique I have this combination of plain config files (templates) and (almost) the same content in variations of the before referenced "install.scm". > -- > Regards > Hartmut Goebel > > | Hartmut Goebel | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com | > | www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible | > > > > -- ng0 GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588 GnuPG: https://n0is.noblogs.org/my-keys https://www.infotropique.org https://krosos.org