On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 04:19:54PM +0300, Oleg Pykhalov wrote: > I'm trying to understand what is “garbage collector root” aka “gc root”. Garbage-collector roots (GC roots) are items in /gnu/store that are registered to protect them from the garbage collector: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-gc.html You can see the GC root symlinks in /var/guix/gcroots. You can make a new GC root manually by adding a symlink to the store item you want to preserve. For example: $ ln --symbolic $(guix build hello) /var/guix/gcroots/my-hello > 1. Is “$HOME/.guix-profile” a “gc root”? Yes, this is mentioned in the manual, section Invoking guix package: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html > 2. I need to build a package, but don't install it. Just preserve it > for offloading. Is “guix build --root=$HOME/.guix-profile PACKAGE” (run > as non root user) what I want? Or if not, what FILE in “--root=FILE” do > I need to pass? I've never used this feature, so I'm not sure if the value of FILE can be anywhere on the filesystem, or if it has to be in /var/guix/gcroots. Hopefully someone else can clarify this. Or you can read the code or experiment :)