all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why the package `shadow' is not installed by default in the latest GuixSD image?
@ 2017-06-27 13:30 Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-06-27 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi

I have recently reported a weird issue with X11 here, and am now
retrying to install GuixSD on that same machine on which I had the
issue.  Now another trouble that I encounter during the installation is
that the shadow package is no installed on my machine, and thus I don't
have access to the ‘passwd’ command in order to set a root password and
proceed w/ installation thru ssh.  Is this a deliberate choice to leave
out this package from the installation media or a bug?  It's not that
important as I'm installing shadow via ‘guix package -i’ ATM but it
takes time (compiles stuff) unnecessarily.

Cheers,

        gk.

* Re: Why the package `shadow' is not installed by default in the latest GuixSD image?
@ 2017-06-27 17:27 ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-06-27 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 2017-06-27 16:30 +03, I wrote:
> Now another trouble that I encounter during the installation is that
> the shadow package is no installed on my machine, and thus I don't

Well I found out that it actually is installed but does not make it's
way into the path, so I have to

  find / -name passwd

to use the thing.

* Re: Why the package `shadow' is not installed by default in the latest GuixSD image?
@ 2017-06-27 18:30   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-06-27 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Göktuğ Kayaalp; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 08:27:08PM +0300, Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:
> On 2017-06-27 16:30 +03, I wrote:
> > Now another trouble that I encounter during the installation is that
> > the shadow package is no installed on my machine, and thus I don't
>
> Well I found out that it actually is installed but does not make it's
> way into the path, so I have to
>
>   find / -name passwd
>
> to use the thing.

Are you using the GuixSD 0.13.0 USB image?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Why the package `shadow' is not installed by default in the latest GuixSD image?
@ 2017-06-27 19:41     ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-06-27 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

On 2017-06-27 14:30 +04, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 08:27:08PM +0300, Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:
>> On 2017-06-27 16:30 +03, I wrote:
>> > Now another trouble that I encounter during the installation is that
>> > the shadow package is no installed on my machine, and thus I don't
>>
>> Well I found out that it actually is installed but does not make it's
>> way into the path, so I have to
>>
>>   find / -name passwd
>>
>> to use the thing.
>
> Are you using the GuixSD 0.13.0 USB image?

Yes.

* Re: Why the package `shadow' is not installed by default in the latest GuixSD image?
@ 2017-06-29 14:29 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-06-29 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Göktuğ Kayaalp; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> skribis:

> I have recently reported a weird issue with X11 here, and am now
> retrying to install GuixSD on that same machine on which I had the
> issue.  Now another trouble that I encounter during the installation is
> that the shadow package is no installed on my machine, and thus I don't
> have access to the ‘passwd’ command in order to set a root password and
> proceed w/ installation thru ssh.  Is this a deliberate choice to leave
> out this package from the installation media or a bug?  It's not that
> important as I'm installing shadow via ‘guix package -i’ ATM but it
> takes time (compiles stuff) unnecessarily.

I think the rationale was that you don’t need ‘useradd’ & co. on GuixSD,
but you definitely need ‘passwd’ so I agree that we should add it.
Done:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=c0f5eee4b2cc737be222c4ba331d0c6373d565eb

Thanks,
Ludo’.