On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:33:31AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote: > ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > > IOW, since we’re checking the integrity of the tarball anyway, and we > > assume developers checked its authenticity when writing the recipe, then > > who cares whether downloads.xiph.org has a valid certificate? > > > > Conversely, ‘guix download’ always checks certificates by default. > > > > Does it make sense? > > Yes, and I agree with this behavior. However, it should be noted that > this will reduce the security of a bad practice that I suspect is > sometimes used by people when updating packages, namely to update the > version number, try building it, and then copy the hash from the error > message to the package. Yeah, that's a bad habit and I warn people against it whenever it comes up :/ > FWIW, I always check digital signatures when they're available, and I > hope that others will as well, but in practice we are putting our faith > in a large number of contributors, some of whom might not be so careful. > > Also, sadly, many packages are distributed without digital signatures at > all. One glaring example is NSS. Do we have any contacts at Mozilla we can talk to about this? I imagine it's a long shot, with many bureaucratic hurdles, but it's worth asking for.