all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Transition from Guile 2.0 to 2.2 ("not an ELF file")
@ 2017-06-09 14:55 Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2017-06-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-Help

Hi,

since my last guix update, I get this error message:

;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
;;; WARNING: loading compiled
file /home/bjoern/.config/guix/latest/guix/scripts.go failed:

OK, I found out that it is related to the transition to Guile 2.2:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-05/msg00350.html

I admit, I used to use `guix pull but this time I really used the git
way to upgrade:

cd guix
git fetch
./bootstrap
make check
./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure g64.scm

After restart the problem popped up. Trying it a second time, still
same result.

I guess that ~/.config/guix/latest still points to the last ("2.0")
result of guix pull. Can I just remove that? Or fix it? Is there an
equivalent to guix-latest, the git-way?

One idea to get rid of the problem was to just use `guix pull` again,
but unfortunately that also went wrong:

guix pull: errror: libtiff-CVE-2017-7593.patch: patch not found.

Any ideas of how to get into the 2.2-world?

Björn

* Re: Transition from Guile 2.0 to 2.2 ("not an ELF file")
@ 2017-06-10  7:07 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-06-10  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-Help

Hi Björn,

:

> Hi,
>
> since my last guix update, I get this error message:
>
> ;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
> ;;; WARNING: loading compiled
> file /home/bjoern/.config/guix/latest/guix/scripts.go failed:
>
> OK, I found out that it is related to the transition to Guile 2.2:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-05/msg00350.html
>
> I admit, I used to use `guix pull but this time I really used the git
> way to upgrade:
>
> cd guix
> git fetch
> ./bootstrap
> make check
> ./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure g64.scm
>
> After restart the problem popped up. Trying it a second time, still
> same result.

you could do this:

cd guix
./pre-inst-env guix pull

This should use the checked out branch to restore your "pulled" guix

After that, you can restart using guix as you previously used to

Hope this helps !

* Re: Transition from Guile 2.0 to 2.2 ("not an ELF file")
@ 2017-06-10 11:33   ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2017-06-10 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Guix-Help

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:07:43 +0200
Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,

> <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > since my last guix update, I get this error message:
> >
> > ;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
> > ;;; WARNING: loading compiled
> > file /home/bjoern/.config/guix/latest/guix/scripts.go failed:
> >
> > OK, I found out that it is related to the transition to Guile 2.2:
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-05/msg00350.html
> >
> > I admit, I used to use `guix pull but this time I really used the
> > git way to upgrade:
> >
> > cd guix
> > git fetch
> > ./bootstrap
> > make check
> > ./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure g64.scm
> >
> > After restart the problem popped up. Trying it a second time, still
> > same result.
> >

> you could do this:
>
> cd guix
> ./pre-inst-env guix pull
>
> This should use the checked out branch to restore your "pulled" guix
>
> After that, you can restart using guix as you previously used to
>
> Hope this helps !

Yes, that helped. Thanks!

Björn