The last update to libwmf was twelve years ago, in 2005. In the meantime, a large number of security issues have been discovered in this library. These bugs are fixed somewhat haphazardly by the distributions. While working on patching CVE-2016-9011 in libwmf, and backporting fixes for CVE-2016-{9317,10167,10168} in the ancient bundled libgd, I find myself wondering if we need this library at all. The patches from this 12 year span of 3rd party fixes begin to conflict with each other... Libwmf is only used as a "plugin" by AbiWord, and AbiWord can be configured to build without it. Otherwise, someone needs to overhaul and update our libwmf patch series. I've included a WIP patch that includes the fixes. Not all of the new patches apply. WDYT?