all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GuixSD in a VM is so nice - once you actually have control over your mouse, that is.
@ 2017-05-17 22:42 Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-17 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

so I run GuixSD (on bare metal nicely and) on qemu

but mouse capture is an issue in that gpm or whatever runs the mouse.

I "can't come back from the Immelmann loop" , so-to-speak. The only
"ESCAPE" is CTRL-ALT-F3  with root login and "reboot".

I mean ... these days a VM should maybe be fine with mice of 21st.
century design or am I going down a wrong alley ?

* Re: GuixSD in a VM is so nice - once you actually have control over your mouse, that is.
@ 2017-05-17 22:52 ` Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-17 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 18.05.2017 00:42, Fox wrote:
> so I run GuixSD (on bare metal nicely and) on qemu
>
> but mouse capture is an issue in that gpm or whatever runs the mouse.
>
> I "can't come back from the Immelmann loop" , so-to-speak. The only
> "ESCAPE" is CTRL-ALT-F3  with root login and "reboot".
>

> I mean ... these days a VM should maybe be fine with mice of 21st.
> century design or am I going down a wrong alley ?

it could be delay   somewhat long    before Guixers are notified of the
ESCAPE keypresses. I'll investigate.

* Re: GuixSD in a VM is so nice - once you actually have control over your mouse, that is.
@ 2017-05-18  2:30 ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-05-18  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I don't know what is the issue exactly, but from the QEMU documentation
I can see that, in order for it to grab or release mouse and keyboard,
one has to press Ctrl + Alt.

Lastly, strangely enough, I as a non-tech user understand QEMU as a
VM. But of course, no non-tech user's opinion replaces thechnical
ones. :)

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

* GuixSD in a VM is so nice
@ 2017-05-18  9:34   ` Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-18  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

indeed:   just press CTRL-ALT    (Strg-Alt in places)

too bad, notification about this does not show up in time in the QEMU
window titlebar seemingly. well well, we saw harder challenges.

* Re: GuixSD in a VM is so nice
@ 2017-05-18 11:28     ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-05-18 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm glad that we got this sorted out. :)

Happy hacking! :)

* Re: GuixSD in a VM is so nice
@ 2017-05-18 11:46       ` Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-18 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

> Happy hacking! :)

indeed, now I need to find out why vlan0 is dead in qemu.
qemu-x86 -net default
is a no-workie. I will report back on this.   :)

* Re: GuixSD in a VM is so nice
@ 2017-05-18 12:01         ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-05-18 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I don't know if this is right, but at least according to
[[https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html#Network-options]], I see no
way to tell `-net default` to QEMU.

* Re: GuixSD in a VM is so nice
@ 2017-05-18 12:18           ` Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-18 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

> [[https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html#Network-options]], I see no
> way to tell `-net default` to QEMU.

yeah but the GuixSD install manual uses it,
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Installing-GuixSD-in-a-VM.html#Installing-GuixSD-in-a-VM
so somebody must have gotten it to work presumably.

* Re: GuixSD in a VM is so nice
@ 2017-05-18 12:30             ` Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-18 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking

So helpful that the "notes" tell you a problem but hardly the solution.
Seems I ran into a common problem.

* Re: GuixSD in a VM is so nice
@ 2017-05-18 13:51               ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-05-18 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

The documentation section (the reference I gave earliear), not the wiki
page (the reference you just gave), tells the solution for the problem
described in the wiki page. The wiki page also mentions the solution but
it's implicit. That wiki page tells you that you have to provide options
that identify the host's network in order for the QEMU system to make
use of it.

* Re: GuixSD in virtualbox
@ 2017-05-18 17:22             ` Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-18 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

installing GuixSD in a virtualbox is much less hassle and it runs
noticably faster than on qemu.

  dhclient enp0s3

got network running here

* Re: GuixSD in virtualbox
@ 2017-05-18 18:58               ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-05-18 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

You might want to make sure that the version of VirtualBox that you have
is fully free/libre though.

The current versions of it, as far as I know, aren't, so I think Guix
should avoid recommending it.

--

@ 2017-05-19  8:39 ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2017-05-19  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Thu, 18 May 2017 00:42:18 +0200
Fox <firefox@firemail.cc> wrote:

> so I run GuixSD (on bare metal nicely and) on qemu
>
> but mouse capture is an issue in that gpm or whatever runs the mouse.
>
> I "can't come back from the Immelmann loop" , so-to-speak. The only
> "ESCAPE" is CTRL-ALT-F3  with root login and "reboot".
>

> I mean ... these days a VM should maybe be fine with mice of 21st.
> century design or am I going down a wrong alley ?

As others already pointed out, "Ctrl-Alt" is the way to get out of the
cage.

Mostly I don't use the VM-Window: I had some trouble with gpm and don't
know how to enable clipboard-sharing in QEMU, so I just use SSH:

My GuixSD-QEMU-Configuration has something like:

 (services (cons*
		... other services here ...
                (dhcp-client-service)
                (lsh-service #:port-number 3333)
                   %base-services))

Then in my host system I have an entry in my ~/.ssh/config:

Host g64
        HostName localhost
        Port 3333
        User bjoern

When I now call "ssh g64" and enter my password, I'm connected to my
virtual machine and can use the normal mouse and copy/paste of my host
system as I would use with other remote machines.

You can also upload your SSH-Key in your virtual machine to avoid
password entering.

And probably when I would setup a new VM, I would use OpenSSH
(https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#index-openssh_002dservice_002dtype),
but when I started with my setup, there was only LSH.

Björn

* Re: GuixSD in virtualbox
@ 2017-05-19 11:23                 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-05-19 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adonay Felipe Nogueira; +Cc: help-guix

Adonay Felipe Nogueira <adfeno@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> You might want to make sure that the version of VirtualBox that you have
> is fully free/libre though.
>
> The current versions of it, as far as I know, aren't, so I think Guix
> should avoid recommending it.

Specifically, VirtualBox relies on a non-free toolchain at build time,
AIUI.  That’s why Guix does not include it.

Fox: QEMU should run about as fast as native code as long as you provide
the ‘-enable-kvm’ command-line option.  See
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Running-GuixSD-in-a-VM.html>.

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: GuixSD in virtualbox
@ 2017-05-19 13:52                   ` Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-19 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

> Specifically, VirtualBox relies on a non-free toolchain at build time,
> AIUI.  That’s why Guix does not include it.
>
> Fox: QEMU should run about as fast as native code as long as you provide
> the ‘-enable-kvm’ command-line option.  See:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Running-GuixSD-in-a-VM.html

Thx I had found that kvm info too.

Sadly GuixSD suffers breakdown after the install of python for some
weird reason.

My idea was to do GUI programming stuff with guile-gnome-platform
available also on NixOS and as a NixOS package.
But to get the hello-world going requires quite some effort, I found.
And my NixOS install went haywire after only a few hours.

Meanwhile I found the Mr.Ed GUI-designer for Dr.Racket-GUI (racket
scheme) which gets you started way faster.
https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/mred-designer
seems more useable than Boa-Constructor even.

Maybe I drop guile in favour of racket hence. running WxGlade LISP code
with guile seems quirky too.

* Re: GuixSD in virtualbox
@ 2017-05-19 16:51                     ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-05-19 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Which break down is related to GuixSD and Python?

Please tell us so that we can help out.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
  gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre, por isso não uso. Iguais a ele prefiro
  GNU Ring, ou Tox. Quer outras formas de contato? Adicione o vCard
  que está no endereço acima aos teus contatos.
- Pretende me enviar arquivos .doc, .ppt, .cdr, ou .mp3? OK, eu
  aceito, mas não repasso. Entrego apenas em formatos favoráveis ao
  /software/ livre. Favor entrar em contato em caso de dúvida.

* GuixSD in virtualbox
@ 2017-05-19 17:43                       ` Fox
From: Fox @ 2017-05-19 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> Which break down is related to GuixSD and Python?

> Please tell us so that we can help out.

Thx, I repeatedly restarted the

guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt

line which broke during python2.7 install repeatedly.

After 3 hrs I kinda gave up on it. Maybe it just has been network
overload, I will try again in the vbox image if I find a cool app to run
in GuixSD such as scsh or shepherd of course. Also NixOS kinda let me
down even though the nix package manager under debian never gave me much
if any trouble. I'll report back if I could continue later a successful

guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt

lispy greetz!