On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 12:15:54AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Would it be possible to detect whether graphical output is available > only in GRUB code? I'm far from a GRUB expert... Apparently, the terminal input and output devices default to the "platform's native terminal {input,output}": https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Simple-configuration.html > Or is the use case a situation where graphical output *is* supported > but somehow undesirable? Yes, that is a potential use case. For example, I have a system based on an embedded system-on-a-chip that includes a GPU, but no physical video ports; I must use the serial port. I also have this use case on a laptop as a consequence of . For both of those systems, I've been using a different patch that has the same effect on the generated grub.cfg. Perhaps instead of a graphical? toggle, we could expose the different values of GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT and GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT: https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Simple-configuration.html