On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:17:28AM +0100, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote: Perhaps we have to agree to disagree on singular they, but I hope we can still agree on the following statements from my earlier email: I agree to a slightly edited version: ----------------- [...] sometimes there is not a simple solution, however : - if you know someone has a preference for particular pronouns, use those when refering to that person. - don't use pronouns when *you know* the other person does not identify with them. - if unsure, ask the person how he or she would like to be referenced. If you make a mistake, an apology will show your intention was not malicious. In manuals we can just use "singular they", or another non-gender specific form of reference. ----------------- Alternatively it would be incumbent on you to provide an alternative that is not just "I will bloody-mindedly stick to gendering people when I don't know anything about them". It is this tendency to call any difference of opinion by terms such as "bloody-minded" which offends me - I try not to take offence - but I find hard not to. I'm sorry. To answer your question: How about saying "he or she" or "the person". In the formal context, well??? I think there is broad consensus that "singular they" is awesome. There is a broad concensus that Donald Trump, Rodrigo Duterte and Recep Erdogan are awesome. However I do not agree. > People having been talking about being "welcoming". Well, I beleive the way > to achieve that is threefold: > > 1. Try not to offend. > 2. Try not to be offended. > 3. Recognise that diversity is an asset. Absolutely, wonderful sentiment. To that I would add: 4. Respect the integrity and right to self-definition of all participants I agree. Put that one in too. J' -- Avoid eavesdropping. Send strong encrypted email. PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3 fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3 See http://sks-keyservers.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.