On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 06:36:20AM +0100, John Darrington wrote: > On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 08:45:27PM +0000, ng0 wrote: > > ps Cl??ment: 'them'/'they' are pronouns if you don't know the gender and/or > prefered pronoun of a person :) > > > ... according to some. - but most linguists, and many orators (the president of > the Free Software Foundation being one of them) consider this to be a misuse of > the English language and refuse to (mis)use these words for such a purpose. As a native USA English speaker, I think this usage is fine, and widely accepted by speakers, at least in this country. There are some cases where it sounds a little clunky, but we don't have other words for this use case that enjoy wider common usage.