On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:57:09AM +0100, Andy Wingo wrote: Hello John, Hello Andy, Misgendering a guix contributor is rude. If deliberate, I agree that misgendering anyone, guix contributor or not, would be rude. So I have never done so. On the grand scale of things it is worse than what you perceive to be misuse of language. I don't know what you mean by "it" in the above sentence. If you mean rudeness, then I agree. If you mean an inadvertent misgendering of a person then I do not. Sometime ago, due to a misunderstanding I received a series of emails addressing me as Frau Darrington. I did not feel offended or insulted at all, and I cannot imagine anyone would feel that way. Continuing to advocate for your idea on what good English is is unwelcome behavior, Perhaps. But why is it only advocacy of *my* opinion which is unwelcome whereas that of others is perfectly acceptable? I feel that I am being victimised here. especially when this advocacy ignores the issue of misgendering. That opinion I do reject. I think that the occasional, inadvertent reference to a person with a pronoun of the incorrect gender scores very low on the scale of world problems. It is certainly no worse that refering to that person with a pronoun of the wrong grammatical number. I'm sorry that we cannot agree on this subject, but as it is orthogonal to the remit of this mailing list, I suggest that we drop the subject and not bring it up again. J' -- Avoid eavesdropping. Send strong encrypted email. PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3 fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3 See http://sks-keyservers.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.