On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 01:29:15AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello Guix! > > Ricardo Wurmus skribis: > > > we have a couple of generic package updaters (CPAN, CRAN, Bioconductor, > > Github, GNU, etc), but they don’t nearly cover all of our packages. I > > wonder if we should add one-off updaters for individual packages that > > don’t fall into any of the generic classes of updaters. > > > > Another question is how to implement them. Would there be another > > optional field in package expressions containing a Guile script to run > > to determine updates for the current package? > > > > What are your opinions on this? > > Currently we have ways to provide the generic updates with additional > hints. For instance, we can provide hints to the ‘gnu’ updater: > > (define-public guile-next > (package (inherit guile-2.0) > (name "guile-next") > ;; … > (properties '((upstream-name . "guile") > (ftp-server . "alpha.gnu.org") > (ftp-directory . "/gnu/guile"))))) > > I suspect that one-off updaters would most likely use methods very > close to the existing updaters. For instance, we could have a generic > FTP updater that would apply to all packages available on FTP; or we > could have a generic updater that crawls HTML pages for release numbers > and such things. Then we would have optional properties in packages to > specify which method to use, or something along these lines. > > WDYT? Do you have examples in mind? > Sourceforge has an rss feed for each project they host. For example, for libcddb: https://sourceforge.net/projects/libcddb/rss Another example is Debian, which has a "watch file" that does something™, for example cairo's: https://sources.debian.net/src/cairo/1.14.8-1/debian/watch/ -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted