all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* which of the two ArchLinux PKGBUILDs is better ? -- guix on Arch  success
@ 2016-09-06 19:04 alt.ep-co5h6f0t
From: alt.ep-co5h6f0t @ 2016-09-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

ArchLinux installers of guix should be aware that the standard size of
/tmp on a 4 GB computer is too small for a full install of guix.

Please enlarge your swap file and resize /tmp to like 20 GB, else
you will repeatedly break during

guix package -i hello

After those mods I successfully ran guix on Manjaro (Arch derivate).

:-)

* Re: which of the two ArchLinux PKGBUILDs is better ? -- guix on Arch success
@ 2016-09-06 19:27 ` Tomáš Čech
From: Tomáš Čech @ 2016-09-06 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alt.ep-co5h6f0t; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:04:32PM +0200, alt.ep-co5h6f0t@yopmail.com wrote:
>ArchLinux installers of guix should be aware that the standard size of
>/tmp on a 4 GB computer is too small for a full install of guix.
>

>Please enlarge your swap file and resize /tmp to like 20 GB, else
>you will repeatedly break during

Or you can set TMPDIR variable for guix-daemon.

Best regards,

S_W

* Re: which of the two ArchLinux PKGBUILDs is better ? -- guix on Arch success
@ 2016-09-06 20:22 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-09-06 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alt.ep-co5h6f0t; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:04:32PM +0200, alt.ep-co5h6f0t@yopmail.com wrote:
> ArchLinux installers of guix should be aware that the standard size of
> /tmp on a 4 GB computer is too small for a full install of guix.
>
> Please enlarge your swap file and resize /tmp to like 20 GB, else
> you will repeatedly break during
>
> guix package -i hello
>
> After those mods I successfully ran guix on Manjaro (Arch derivate).

What exactly goes wrong when /tmp is less that 4 GB? There are a handful
of packages that require more than 4 GB of storage while building, but I
don't believe any of them are required to build hello.

* Re: which of the two ArchLinux PKGBUILDs is better ? -- guix on Arch success
@ 2017-02-15 11:50   ` Nancy-Anne Cianci
From: Nancy-Anne Cianci @ 2017-02-15 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 06.09.2016 22:22, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:04:32PM +0200, alt.ep-co5h6f0t@yopmail.com wrote:
>> ArchLinux installers of guix should be aware that the standard size of
>> /tmp on a 4 GB computer is too small for a full install of guix.
>>
>> Please enlarge your swap file and resize /tmp to like 20 GB, else
>> you will repeatedly break during
>>
>> guix package -i hello
>>
>> After those mods I successfully ran guix on Manjaro (Arch derivate).
>
> What exactly goes wrong when /tmp is less that 4 GB? There are a handful
> of packages that require more than 4 GB of storage while building, but I
> don't believe any of them are required to build hello.

I believe the problem was that one line was missed during install and
then no binary install was made, everything was built instead. sth.
about auth or such.