all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .xinitrc ignored
@ 2016-08-19 19:33 gno
From: gno @ 2016-08-19 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello guys !

First off, guix is great, even if it takes quite some time to get used
to :)

I made it work in no time and am now running guixsd (lightweight
desktop setup with awesome). I'd like to keep at it but I do need to
solve 2 problems first. I was asking around in #guix and was referred
to this email add.

Is there any way to make it respect .xinitrc, preferrably when slim
starts ? I use a diy keyboard with a custom xmodmap that needs to be
loaded. I tried all kinds of things with ~ and
root; .xinitrc, .xserverrc, .xsession (crashed w/o logs).

Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update it so
that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a few API
changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version myself or
did you not do it already because of missing dependencies or other
complications ?

Thanks for all the hard work ! :)
- muck

* Re: .xinitrc ignored
@ 2016-08-19 21:57 ` Leo Famulari
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-08-19 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gno; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 09:33:20PM +0200, gno wrote:
> Hello guys !
>
> First off, guix is great, even if it takes quite some time to get used
> to :)
>
> I made it work in no time and am now running guixsd (lightweight
> desktop setup with awesome). I'd like to keep at it but I do need to
> solve 2 problems first. I was asking around in #guix and was referred
> to this email add.
>
> Is there any way to make it respect .xinitrc, preferrably when slim
> starts ? I use a diy keyboard with a custom xmodmap that needs to be
> loaded. I tried all kinds of things with ~ and
> root; .xinitrc, .xserverrc, .xsession (crashed w/o logs).

I'm not sure — someone else will have to answer this.

> Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update it so
> that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a few API
> changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version myself or
> did you not do it already because of missing dependencies or other
> complications ?

Please, feel free to try updating it to the latest upstream release :) I
haven't heard of any reasons for it to stay at the current version.

* Re: .xinitrc ignored
@ 2016-08-20  2:36 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2016-08-20  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gno; +Cc: help-guix

gno <gnopap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello guys !
>
> First off, guix is great, even if it takes quite some time to get used
> to :)
Yeah, welcome!

> I made it work in no time and am now running guixsd (lightweight
> desktop setup with awesome). I'd like to keep at it but I do need to
> solve 2 problems first. I was asking around in #guix and was referred
> to this email add.
>
> Is there any way to make it respect .xinitrc, preferrably when slim
> starts ? I use a diy keyboard with a custom xmodmap that needs to be
> loaded. I tried all kinds of things with ~ and
> root; .xinitrc, .xserverrc, .xsession (crashed w/o logs).
Our slim only supports `.xsession', which can be a shell script with
executable permission.  It accepts the session command selected by
the user, and should exec it (or something).  My is look like:

#!/bin/sh

setxkbmap dvorak
$HOME/.fehbg
xrdb ~/.Xresources

# exec "$1" # uncomment this line to start the selected one
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session i3

> Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update it so
> that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a few API
> changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version myself or
> did you not do it already because of missing dependencies or other
> complications ?

Yes, the most important missing one is lua-lgi.  And we don't have
other lua packages too, so I think it's most about figure out
how lua packages should works (finding them during applications
build and running) in guix.

* Re: .xinitrc ignored
@ 2016-08-20 18:05   ` gno
From: gno @ 2016-08-20 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:36:50 +0800
iyzsong@member.fsf.org (宋文武) wrote:

> gno <gnopap@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello guys !
> >
> > First off, guix is great, even if it takes quite some time to get
> > used to :)
> Yeah, welcome!
>

> > I made it work in no time and am now running guixsd (lightweight
> > desktop setup with awesome). I'd like to keep at it but I do need to
> > solve 2 problems first. I was asking around in #guix and was
> > referred to this email add.
> >
> > Is there any way to make it respect .xinitrc, preferrably when slim
> > starts ? I use a diy keyboard with a custom xmodmap that needs to be
> > loaded. I tried all kinds of things with ~ and
> > root; .xinitrc, .xserverrc, .xsession (crashed w/o logs).
> Our slim only supports `.xsession', which can be a shell script with
> executable permission.  It accepts the session command selected by
> the user, and should exec it (or something).  My is look like:

> #!/bin/sh
>
> setxkbmap dvorak
> $HOME/.fehbg
> xrdb ~/.Xresources
>
> # exec "$1" # uncomment this line to start the selected one
> exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session i3

That makes sense ! I was missing exec "$1". Though, is there a way to
have this script started before the actual session - i.e. so that I can
type in my password using a proper layout ? I tried putting it
into /root but its not being touched it seems.

If not, I have to get rid of slim and start X directly. Any hints for a
operating-system config to do that, or would it make more sense to
start bare-bone and do guix package -i Xorg awesome after install or
something ?

> > Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update
> > it so that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a
> > few API changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version
> > myself or did you not do it already because of missing dependencies
> > or other complications ?
>
> Yes, the most important missing one is lua-lgi.  And we don't have
> other lua packages too, so I think it's most about figure out
> how lua packages should works (finding them during applications
> build and running) in guix.

Yea, I got to that point as well. I'll try to make it work at least for
me. I don't lua/guix well enough yet to come up with something sane
that could be contributed.

* Re: .xinitrc ignored
@ 2016-08-20 19:58 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-20 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gno, help-guix

Hi,

gno <gnopap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello guys !
>
> First off, guix is great, even if it takes quite some time to get used
> to :)
>
> I made it work in no time and am now running guixsd (lightweight
> desktop setup with awesome). I'd like to keep at it but I do need to
> solve 2 problems first. I was asking around in #guix and was referred
> to this email add.
>
> Is there any way to make it respect .xinitrc, preferrably when slim
> starts ? I use a diy keyboard with a custom xmodmap that needs to be
> loaded. I tried all kinds of things with ~ and
> root; .xinitrc, .xserverrc, .xsession (crashed w/o logs).
>
> Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update it so
> that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a few API
> changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version myself or
> did you not do it already because of missing dependencies or other
> complications ?

I ran into complications when I first started to work on awesome-wm,
then someone else packaged the older version of awesome-wm which just
worked. I will search my patch, rebase, comment it, send to the
guix-devel list (guix-devel@gnu.org) and you can bring it to a working
state if you like to? Additional help you can get from other
contributors if this is your first patch.

--
ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org

* Re: .xinitrc ignored; awesome-wm
@ 2016-08-20 23:34   ` gno
From: gno @ 2016-08-20 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 19:58:00 +0000
ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gno <gnopap@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello guys !
> >
> > First off, guix is great, even if it takes quite some time to get
> > used to :)
> >
> > I made it work in no time and am now running guixsd (lightweight
> > desktop setup with awesome). I'd like to keep at it but I do need to
> > solve 2 problems first. I was asking around in #guix and was
> > referred to this email add.
> >
> > Is there any way to make it respect .xinitrc, preferrably when slim
> > starts ? I use a diy keyboard with a custom xmodmap that needs to be
> > loaded. I tried all kinds of things with ~ and
> > root; .xinitrc, .xserverrc, .xsession (crashed w/o logs).
> >
> > Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update
> > it so that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a
> > few API changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version
> > myself or did you not do it already because of missing dependencies
> > or other complications ?
>
> I ran into complications when I first started to work on awesome-wm,
> then someone else packaged the older version of awesome-wm which just
> worked. I will search my patch, rebase, comment it, send to the
> guix-devel list (guix-devel@gnu.org) and you can bring it to a working
> state if you like to? Additional help you can get from other
> contributors if this is your first patch.

That would be much appreciated !
So far it's been pretty catastrophic. I managed to compile lua with
dynamic load support since that was the first problem I ran into with
lua-lgi. Now lua-lgi sucessfully builds and loads; but its tests
throw a segfault.
Awesome doesnt want to build the man pages and is not exactly verbose
as to why that is. Here's my progress:

https://github.com/doncatnip/guix-packages

Any help welcome :)
cheers

> > Thanks for all the hard work ! :)
> > - muck

* Re: .xinitrc ignored
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-08-21 10:26 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-08-21 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gno; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 09:33:20PM +0200, gno wrote:
> Hello guys !

And gals, and other people :-)

> Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update it so
> that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a few API
> changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version myself or
> did you not do it already because of missing dependencies or other
> complications ?

Welcome on board! As others have pointed out, it looks as if awesome is not
so easy to update. So maybe you would like to exercise by creating easier
packages for a start. We will be happy to receive patches at
guix-devel@gnu.org.

Cheers,

Andreas