On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 06:09:12PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >Hello, > >Tomáš Čech skribis: > >> Ping after week - is there interest in this patch? > >I didn’t comment on the patch specifically because I thought my reply >might make you change your mind. ;-) > > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-07/msg01241.html Thanks for that, I'm still trying to digest that bite. I'm sorry for being a bit slow on Guile. >All the packages used by the initrd are automatically part of the >initrd. The proposed patch would allow people to add unused packages to >the initrd. It is for the packages which you may want to use interactivelly in case of failure or for some extra initrd hacking you may not want/be able to write in Guile. Features like - extra authentication - full disk encryption - root on NFS - LVM :) - ... when kernel+initrd is booted from another source. >Could you explain how/when this would be used? Maybe as commands for >use by Bournish when it’s used as a rescue shell? I agree that it is more for debugging and to balance my inability to express it in Guile but it lowers the barrier a bit. Bournish is too young to rely on it. I miss pipes, accessing files in different directories or `ls' with wildcards. I can put in minimal static busybox which is more than sufficient for rescue, problem analysis or even data recovery. I like the idea of Bournish but I'd rather have an alternative until it is more capable. And yes, it could be also used from Bournish in interactive session as a command. S_W