all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gs
@ 2016-07-22 22:05 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-07-22 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

the following commit
commit eb354bdacbf4154ec66038dac07f19bf4ced1fad
Author: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
Date:   Mon May 9 15:54:34 2016 +0200

    gnu: ghostscript: Do not build the statically-linked 'gs' binary.

    * gnu/packages/ghostscript.scm (ghostscript)[arguments]: Remove
    'build-so' and 'install-so' phases.  Replace 'build' and 'install'
    phases.

removes "gs" from the ghostscript package. However, this is the usual program
that people expect. For instance, unison uses it for building its
documentation. Is there a dynamically linked binary which replaces gs?
If yes, should we add a symbolic link?

If not, I would suggest to revert this commit.

Ceterum censeo that we should not optimise for size by sacrificing
functionality and ease of handling (cf. separate outputs).

Andreas

* Gs
@ 2016-07-23 11:09 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-07-23 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andreas; +Cc: Guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> the following commit
> commit eb354bdacbf4154ec66038dac07f19bf4ced1fad
> Author: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
> Date:   Mon May 9 15:54:34 2016 +0200
>
>     gnu: ghostscript: Do not build the statically-linked 'gs' binary.
>
>     * gnu/packages/ghostscript.scm (ghostscript)[arguments]: Remove
>     'build-so' and 'install-so' phases.  Replace 'build' and 'install'
>     phases.
>
> removes "gs" from the ghostscript package. However, this is the usual program
> that people expect. For instance, unison uses it for building its
> documentation. Is there a dynamically linked binary which replaces gs?
> If yes, should we add a symbolic link?
>
> If not, I would suggest to revert this commit.
>
> Ceterum censeo that we should not optimise for size by sacrificing
> functionality and ease of handling (cf. separate outputs).

+1

This broke 'chez-scheme' as well on core-updates.

Fede