Quoting Leo Famulari (2016-07-10 19:16:30) > On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 05:54:38PM -0400, Troy Sankey wrote: > > When hashing git checkouts of packages, packagers must first remove the .git > > directory. This commit adds this clarification to the "Invoking guix hash" > > page in the documentation. > > Yes! This is one that *everybody* has to ask. I've asked it, and I've since seen two more ask on IRC :) > I think it would be better in section '5.1.2 origin reference', because > that is where the origin methods (url-fetch, git-fetch, etc) and the > sha256 field are documented. > > In that case, it could go along with explanations of how to calculate > the hash for cvs-download, hg-download, and svn-download. > > What do others think? I think what is really missing is a reference to 'Invoking guix hash' from '5.1.2 origin reference'. My new patch includes that reference, along with your other suggested explainations about other VCS. I think it is important that we direct people to the right tools for the job---beginning packagers should not yet be concerned about the specifics of using 'guix hash' before they learn the name of the tool. Troy