all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* texlive problems
@ 2016-06-04 16:45 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-06-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

I've found a couple of problems with our TeXLive package:

* the directory dedicated to local packages is configured to:
  /gnu/texmf-local
  The standard location is $prefix/texmf-local
  You can check it with, e.g., 'kpsewhich --show-path=.sty'.

* The 3rd party files installed in that directory (once fixed) are
only found if there is a the database file 'ls-r'. This would probably
require a profile hook. Another way may possibly be to remove the '!!'
in front of the path in the following definition (untested)

TEXMF = {$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST}

in the main texmf.cnf file.

Regards,
Fede

* Re: texlive problems
@ 2016-06-04 18:16 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-06-04 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Federico Beffa

Hi Fede,

On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 06:45:46PM +0200, Federico Beffa wrote:
> I've found a couple of problems with our TeXLive package:
> * the directory dedicated to local packages is configured to:
>   /gnu/texmf-local
>   The standard location is $prefix/texmf-local
>   You can check it with, e.g., 'kpsewhich --show-path=.sty'.

as I understand it, this directory is simply not used in our installation.
(So the variable is wrong, but it does not matter.) It is supposed to be
used by system administrators installing packages for all users. In our case,
I do not quite see which directory we would like to use for that; if Guix
is installed on another LFS distribution, we could use /usr/local/texmf or
something similar. It cannot be $prefix/whatever, as the store is immutable.

Right now, individual users should install tex things into
$HOME/.texlive2015. For instance,
$HOME/.texlive2015/texmf-var/tex/latex/beamerouterthemexyz.sty.

Andreas

* Re: texlive problems
@ 2016-06-04 19:57   ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-06-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Enge, Guix-devel

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 8:16 PM, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> Hi Fede,
>
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 06:45:46PM +0200, Federico Beffa wrote:
>> I've found a couple of problems with our TeXLive package:
>> * the directory dedicated to local packages is configured to:
>>   /gnu/texmf-local
>>   The standard location is $prefix/texmf-local
>>   You can check it with, e.g., 'kpsewhich --show-path=.sty'.
>
> as I understand it, this directory is simply not used in our installation.
> (So the variable is wrong, but it does not matter.) It is supposed to be
> used by system administrators installing packages for all users. In our case,
> I do not quite see which directory we would like to use for that; if Guix
> is installed on another LFS distribution, we could use /usr/local/texmf or
> something similar. It cannot be $prefix/whatever, as the store is immutable.
>
> Right now, individual users should install tex things into
> $HOME/.texlive2015. For instance,
> $HOME/.texlive2015/texmf-var/tex/latex/beamerouterthemexyz.sty.

Say package A provides $prefix/texmf-local/tex/generic/my-A.tex and
package B $prefix/texmf-local/tex/generic/my-B.tex. When they are
installed in a profile they get collected into
$guix-profile/texmf-local/tex/generic/.

Local files could then be searched in $guix-profile/texmf-local.

Regards,
Fede