all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question about nix
@ 2016-05-14 14:54 Matthew Jordan
From: Matthew Jordan @ 2016-05-14 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Good day everyone,

Recently I have been looking into rkt and acbuild which are both built
with golang.  But as there is no golang package in guix yet I was
considering using nix since there is a package for that in guix (and nix
has packages for go, rkt and acbuild).

I'm wondering if anyone has any infomation on running Nix on
guixSD. Perhaps in guix oriented way using the "config.scm" (guix system
reconfigure).

I'm also curious as to whereter guix and nix can share "/gnu/store" or do
they need to run with their own stores?

Also is the go/golang package still being worked on? I am not sure how
much help I would be, but I would be willing to help out any way I can.
Time permitting of course.

Sincerely

--
Matthew Jordan
Sent with my mu4e

* Re: Question about nix
@ 2016-05-14 19:36 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-05-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jordan; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 10:54:58AM -0400, Matthew Jordan wrote:
> Good day everyone,
>
> Recently I have been looking into rkt and acbuild which are both built
> with golang.  But as there is no golang package in guix yet I was
> considering using nix since there is a package for that in guix (and nix
> has packages for go, rkt and acbuild).
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any infomation on running Nix on
> guixSD. Perhaps in guix oriented way using the "config.scm" (guix system
> reconfigure).
>
> I'm also curious as to whereter guix and nix can share "/gnu/store" or do
> they need to run with their own stores?
>
> Also is the go/golang package still being worked on? I am not sure how
> much help I would be, but I would be willing to help out any way I can.
> Time permitting of course.

I have a non-working package for go. It builds fine, but it currently has
"cgo_enabled" set to 0, so I've been told it doesn't actually work. Its
totally possible I have other variables set wrong, I don't actually do
any programming in go, so I followed the go docs as best I could.

Either toss it in your GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH (and change the header from
(packages golang)) or do `guix package -f golang.scm', which should do
the trick.

[-- Attachment #1.2: golang.scm --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4638 bytes --]

;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
;;; Copyright © 2015, 2016 Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
;;;
;;; This file is an addendum GNU Guix.
;;;
;;; GNU Guix is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
;;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
;;; your option) any later version.
;;;
;;; GNU Guix is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
;;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;; GNU General Public License for more details.
;;;
;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
;;; along with GNU Guix.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

(define-module (packages golang)
  #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:)
  #:use-module (guix utils)
  #:use-module (guix download)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
  #:use-module (gnu packages gcc)
  #:use-module (gnu packages perl)
  #:use-module (srfi srfi-1))

;; According to https://golang.org/doc/install/gccgo, gccgo-4.8.2 includes a
;; complete go-1.1.2 implementation, gccgo-4.9 includes a complete go-1.2
;; implementation, and gccgo-5 a complete implementation of go-1.4.  Ultimately
;; we hope to build go-1.5+ with a bootstrap process using gccgo-5.  As of
;; go-1.5, go cannot be bootstrapped without go-1.4, so we need to use go-1.4 or
;; gccgo-5.  Mips is not officially supported, but it should work if it is
;; bootstrapped.

(define go-1.4
  (package
    (name "go")
    (version "1.4.3")
    (source
      (origin
        (method url-fetch)
        (uri (string-append "https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go"
                            version ".src.tar.gz"))
        (sha256
         (base32
          "0na9yqilzpvq0bjndbibfp07wr796gf252y471cip10bbdqgqiwr"))))
    (build-system gnu-build-system)
    (outputs '("out" "doc" "tests"))
    (arguments
     `(#:phases
       (modify-phases %standard-phases
         (delete 'configure)
         (add-after 'patch-generated-file-shebangs 'chdir
           (lambda _ (chdir "src")))
         (replace 'build
           (lambda* (#:key inputs outputs #:allow-other-keys)
             (let ((gccgo  (assoc-ref inputs "gccgo"))
                   (output (assoc-ref outputs "out")))
               (setenv "CC" "gcc")
               (setenv "GOROOT" (getcwd))
               (setenv "GOROOT_BOOTSTRAP" gccgo)
               (setenv "GOROOT_FINAL" output)
               (setenv "CGO_ENABLED" "0")
               ;; all.bash includes the tests, which fail because they
               ;; require network access, and access to /bin
               (zero? (system* "bash" "make.bash")))))
         (replace 'install
           (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
             (let* ((output (assoc-ref outputs "out"))
                    (docs   (assoc-ref outputs "doc"))
                    (tests  (assoc-ref outputs "tests")))
               (copy-recursively "../test" tests)
               (delete-file-recursively "../test")
               (copy-recursively "../api" (string-append docs "/api"))
               (delete-file-recursively "../api")
               (copy-recursively "../doc" (string-append docs "/doc"))
               (delete-file-recursively "../doc")
               (copy-recursively "../" output)))))
       #:tests? #f))
    (native-inputs
     `(("gccgo" ,gccgo-4.9)
       ("perl" ,perl)))
    (home-page "https://golang.org/")
    (synopsis "Compiled, statically typed language developed by Google")
    (description "Go, also commonly referred to as golang, is a programming
 language developed at Google.  Designed primarily for systems programming, it
 is a compiled, statically typed language in the tradition of C and C++, with
garbage collection, various safety features and in the style of communicating
sequential processes (CSP) concurrent programming features added.")
    (license license:bsd-3)))

(define-public go
  (package (inherit go-1.4)
    (version "1.6.2")
    (source
      (origin
        (method url-fetch)
        (uri (string-append "https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go"
                            version ".src.tar.gz"))
        (sha256
         (base32
          "1k5wy5ijll5aacj1m6xxnjfjw6x9f255ml3f1jiicw031mshnyvq"))))
    (native-inputs
     `(("gccgo" ,go-1.4)
       ,@(alist-delete "gccgo" (package-native-inputs go-1.4))))))

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Question about nix
@ 2016-05-15 20:46 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-05-15 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jordan; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

"Matthew Jordan" <matthewjordandevops@yandex.com> skribis:

> I'm wondering if anyone has any infomation on running Nix on
> guixSD. Perhaps in guix oriented way using the "config.scm" (guix system
> reconfigure).
>
> I'm also curious as to whereter guix and nix can share "/gnu/store" or do
> they need to run with their own stores?

In theory, they can share the same store and the same daemon.

In practice though, you’ll find that you cannot use substitutes for Guix
if you use a store other than “/gnu/store”, and vice versa.

Anyway, the most profitable option from a Guix perspective is if we
could tweak you into helping out Efraim finish the Go package.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.