On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 08:58:12PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote: John Darrington writes: > I am sorry for my ignorance but why is libiconv needed when > targeting mingw? > > Because Microsoft does not implement iconv, and presumably this package needs it. It's a good question, it puzzles me too why GNU libc decides to bundle or duplicate the GNU iconv functionality. In general (webkit, qt), such practice is frowned upon? I think the reason is historical. Libc implemented iconv before libiconv became available. I suppose they could drop it, but then a lot of people will be suprised when their programs no longer link. But yes it's not a nice sitation ... especially as the api of the iconv function is gratuitously different between the implementations. J' -- Avoid eavesdropping. Send strong encryted email. PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3 fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3 See http://sks-keyservers.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.