all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-15 22:48 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-15 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I installed Emacs with guix.

But the experience provided by the guix provided Emacs is not on par with
the one provided by the Fedora host rpovided Emacs

The menus and the buttons are slightly different but most important is the
minibuffer: It's a bit too small and hard to read.

Also the color in the guix provided Emacs is less bright

Because it's difficult to explain in words, I made a small screencast
showing the difference

The Emacs on the left side of the monitor is the Fedora one. The Emacs on
the right side is the guix one.

The audio is brutally cut, I'm sorry, I made my best with the screencast

Why are they different ? They share the same .emacs.d folder.

There must be something in the underneath X related libraries.

Could anything be done to improve the experience of the guix provided Emacs
?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSr6Rs6R1a4&feature=youtu.be

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-16  6:41 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-04-16  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 12:48:57AM +0200, Catonano wrote:
> I installed Emacs with guix.
>
> But the experience provided by the guix provided Emacs is not on par with
> the one provided by the Fedora host rpovided Emacs

I guess that is because you miss some fonts and system settings that you
previously had with the other distribution.

Try to match the fonts, and install more fonts from Guix packages.

Jean Louis

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-16  9:10 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-16  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano (2016-04-16 01:48 +0300) wrote:

> I installed Emacs with guix.
>
> But the experience provided by the guix provided Emacs is not on par
> with the one provided by the Fedora host rpovided Emacs
>
> The menus and the buttons are slightly different but most important
> is the minibuffer: It's a bit too small and hard to read.
>
> Also the color in the guix provided Emacs is less bright
>
> Because it's difficult to explain in words, I made a small screencast
> showing the difference
>
> The Emacs on the left side of the monitor is the Fedora one. The
> Emacs on the right side is the guix one.
>
> The audio is brutally cut, I'm sorry, I made my best with the
> screencast
>
> Why are they different ? They share the same .emacs.d folder.
>
> There must be something in the underneath X related libraries.
>
> Could anything be done to improve the experience of the guix provided
> Emacs ?

As Jean pointed most likely the problem with fonts happens because Emacs
from Guix doesn't use fonts from your Fedora font dirs.  Installing
required fonts in your user profile will probably fix this issue.  You
can do it like this:

  guix package -i font-liberation font-dejavu ...

The problem with less bright colors is very surprising for me.
Apparently it is the same "custom theme" in both emacs-es, but it
visibly differs.  My only guess is: the theme you use defines different
colors depending on a "class of terminal"/"number of available colors".
But it's probably a bad guess, since it is the same gui emacs in both
cases.

What theme is it?  Some derivation of "zenburn" maybe.  Could you point
to its source code please?

Do you get 752 after evaluating this: "M-: (length (defined-colors))" ?

You can press "C-u C-x =" on any fontified character and look what face
it is and compare how it is customized/themed for both emacs-es (also
with "C-u C-x =" you can see what font is used by Fedora's Emacs).

--
Alex

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-16 11:17   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-16 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

guys,

thank you so much for your attention

> As Jean pointed most likely the problem with fonts happens because Emacs
> from Guix doesn't use fonts from your Fedora font dirs.  Installing
> required fonts in your user profile will probably fix this issue.  You
> can do it like this:
>
>   guix package -i font-liberation font-dejavu ...
>
> The problem with less bright colors is very surprising for me.
> Apparently it is the same "custom theme" in both emacs-es, but it
> visibly differs.  My only guess is: the theme you use defines different
> colors depending on a "class of terminal"/"number of available colors".
> But it's probably a bad guess, since it is the same gui emacs in both
> cases.
>
> What theme is it?  Some derivation of "zenburn" maybe.  Could you point
> to its source code please?

This is it
http://github.com/bbatsov/zenburn-emacs
version: 20160117.1119
Archive: n/a

> Do you get 752 after evaluating this: "M-: (length (defined-colors))" ?

This is it (in both Emacses)
752 (#o1360, #x2f0, ?˰)

> You can press "C-u C-x =" on any fontified character and look what face
> it is and compare how it is customized/themed for both emacs-es (also
> with "C-u C-x =" you can see what font is used by Fedora's Emacs)

 Ok, this is the Guix Emacs
             position: 283 of 860 (33%), column: 30
            character: s (displayed as s) (codepoint 115, #o163, #x73)
    preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x73
               script: latin
               syntax: w     which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII, l:Latin,
r:Roman
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #x73
            file code: #x73 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
(#x56)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN SMALL LETTER S
  general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
  decomposition: (115) ('s')

There are text properties here:
  face                 variable-pitch
  help-echo            [Show]

And this is the Fedora Emacs

             position: 235 of 883 (27%), column: 35
            character: s (displayed as s) (codepoint 115, #o163, #x73)
    preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x73
               script: latin
               syntax: w     which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII, l:Latin,
r:Roman
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #x73
            file code: #x73 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
(#x56)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN SMALL LETTER S
  general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
  decomposition: (115) ('s')

There are text properties here:
  face                 variable-pitch
  help-echo            [Show]

But anyway, I made a little screenshot with Shutter just to make the
difference between the minibuffers more evident

Fedora on the left side, Guix on the right side
http://picpaste.com/ShutterMade.png

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-16 11:52     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-16 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano (2016-04-16 14:17 +0300) wrote:

>     As Jean pointed most likely the problem with fonts happens
>     because Emacs
>     from Guix doesn't use fonts from your Fedora font dirs.
>     Installing
>     required fonts in your user profile will probably fix this
>     issue.  You
>     can do it like this:
>
>       guix package -i font-liberation font-dejavu ...
>
>     The problem with less bright colors is very surprising for me.
>     Apparently it is the same "custom theme" in both emacs-es, but it
>     visibly differs.  My only guess is: the theme you use defines
>     different
>     colors depending on a "class of terminal"/"number of available
>     colors".
>     But it's probably a bad guess, since it is the same gui emacs in
>     both
>     cases.
>
>     What theme is it?  Some derivation of "zenburn" maybe.  Could you
>     point
>     to its source code please?
>
> This is it
> http://github.com/bbatsov/zenburn-emacs

OK, this theme shouldn't cause the difference in brightness, I think.  I
have another guess.  Does Fedora use "site-start.el"?  If so, this file
is not loaded by Guix's Emacs, because it is placed somewhere in
/usr/share/... and Guix's Emacs doesn't look at this directory (also our
emacs uses its own "site-start.el" to load emacs packages installed in
"~/.guix-profile").

You can check if Fedora's Emacs uses "site-start.el" with this:

  M-x find-library site-start

But actually I don't understand how the difference in brightness can
happen at all.  This is a mystery for me.

>  Ok, this is the Guix Emacs
[...]
>     xft:-PfEd-DejaVu
> Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x56)
>
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>   name: LATIN SMALL LETTER S
>   general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
>   decomposition: (115) ('s')
>
> There are text properties here:
>   face                 variable-pitch

You can move the point to 'variable-pitch' button and press RET there to
find out if it has the same customization in both cases.

> And this is the Fedora Emacs
[...]
>     xft:-PfEd-DejaVu
> Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x56)

OK, so Fedora's Emacs has a bigger font (19 against 13).

You can use something like this to set the font and its size:

  (set-frame-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-15" nil t)

> But anyway, I made a little screenshot with Shutter just to make the
> difference between the minibuffers more evident

This should be fixed if you change the font size.

Another thing: I noticed that Guix's Emacs doesn't display some buttons
on the tool bar.  This should probably (I'm not sure) be fixed by
installing some icon theme in your profile, for example
'adwaita-icon-theme'.

--
Alex

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-16 12:24   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-04-16 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:

> As Jean pointed most likely the problem with fonts happens because Emacs
> from Guix doesn't use fonts from your Fedora font dirs.  Installing
> required fonts in your user profile will probably fix this issue.  You
> can do it like this:
>
>   guix package -i font-liberation font-dejavu ...

On this topic, see
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html#X11-Fonts>.

The font used for the menu of Fedora’s Emacs is the GNOME font, known as
‘font-abattis-cantarell’ in Guix.

Ludo’.

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-16 12:59       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-04-16 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 02:52:10PM +0300, Alex Kost wrote:
> Another thing: I noticed that Guix's Emacs doesn't display some buttons
> on the tool bar.  This should probably (I'm not sure) be fixed by
> installing some icon theme in your profile, for example
> 'adwaita-icon-theme'.
>
> --
> Alex

I guess that is due to wrong environment when running emacs.

Check the $XDG_DATA_DIRS to conform to Guix recommended.

Jean

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-16 17:59       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-16 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Alex,

thank you so much for your help

> OK, this theme shouldn't cause the difference in brightness, I think.  I
> have another guess.  Does Fedora use "site-start.el"?  If so, this file
> is not loaded by Guix's Emacs, because it is placed somewhere in
> /usr/share/... and Guix's Emacs doesn't look at this directory (also our
> emacs uses its own "site-start.el" to load emacs packages installed in
> "~/.guix-profile").
>
> You can check if Fedora's Emacs uses "site-start.el" with this:
>
>   M-x find-library site-start

Yes, the Fedora Emacs has this site-start

;;; loaded before user's ".emacs" file and default.el

;; load *.el and *.elc in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d on startup
(mapc
 'load
 (delete-dups
  (mapcar 'file-name-sans-extension
          (directory-files
           "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d" t "\\.elc?\\'"))))
(setq source-directory "/usr/share/emacs/24.5/")

and the Guix Emacs has

(require 'guix-emacs nil t)

> But actually I don't understand how the difference in brightness can
> happen at all.  This is a mystery for me.
>
> > There are text properties here:
> >   face                 variable-pitch
>
> You can move the point to 'variable-pitch' button and press RET there to
> find out if it has the same customization in both cases.

This is the same for both Emacses

Documentation:
The basic variable-pitch face.

Defined in `faces.el'.

           Family: Sans Serif
          Foundry: unspecified
            Width: unspecified
           Height: unspecified
           Weight: unspecified
            Slant: unspecified
       Foreground: unspecified
DistantForeground: unspecified
       Background: unspecified
        Underline: unspecified
         Overline: unspecified
   Strike-through: unspecified
              Box: unspecified
          Inverse: unspecified
          Stipple: unspecified
             Font: unspecified
          Fontset: unspecified
          Inherit: unspecified

[back]

> > And this is the Fedora Emacs
> [...]
> >     xft:-PfEd-DejaVu
> > Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x56)
>
> OK, so Fedora's Emacs has a bigger font (19 against 13).
>
> You can use something like this to set the font and its size:
>
>   (set-frame-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-15" nil t)

you were spot on on this ! In fact evaluating this line made the Guix Emacs
window exactly equal to the one of the Fedora Emacs !

> > But anyway, I made a little screenshot with Shutter just to make the
> > difference between the minibuffers more evident
>
> This should be fixed if you change the font size.

Right ! Even the minibuffer now is reasonably large and readable !

> Another thing: I noticed that Guix's Emacs doesn't display some buttons
> on the tool bar.  This should probably (I'm not sure) be fixed by
> installing some icon theme in your profile, for example
> 'adwaita-icon-theme'.

I installed this adwaita thing but the icons keep not being there

Also the Fedora Emacs keeps being a bit brighter

But that's not that bad ! The showstopper was the tiny tiny minibuffer

And if that's a mistery to you, go figure what it is to me ;-)

Thanks for your help ;-)

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-16 18:14     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-16 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Alex Kost, help-guix

Ludovic

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > As Jean pointed most likely the problem with fonts happens because Emacs
> > from Guix doesn't use fonts from your Fedora font dirs.  Installing
> > required fonts in your user profile will probably fix this issue.  You
> > can do it like this:
> >
> >   guix package -i font-liberation font-dejavu ...
>
> On this topic, see
> <
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html#X11-Fonts
> >.
>
> The font used for the menu of Fedora’s Emacs is the GNOME font, known as
> ‘font-abattis-cantarell’ in Guix.
>
> Ludo’.

Thank you, the Guix Emacs menu fonts were not that bad, but having them
equal among the 2 Emacses is good also ;-)

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-17  8:23         ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-17  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano (2016-04-16 20:59 +0300) wrote:

> Alex,
>
> thank you so much for your help

No problem :)

[...]
> Yes, the Fedora Emacs has this site-start
>
> ;;; loaded before user's ".emacs" file and default.el
>
> ;; load *.el and *.elc in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d on
> startup
> (mapc
>  'load
>  (delete-dups
>   (mapcar 'file-name-sans-extension
>           (directory-files
>            "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d" t "\\.elc?\\
> '"))))
> (setq source-directory "/usr/share/emacs/24.5/")

Aha, so it loads elisp files from that "site-start.d" directory.  I
wonder what files are placed there.  Could you look and show their
contents please?

> and the Guix Emacs has
>
> (require 'guix-emacs nil t)

Right, this is used to find emacs packages in "~/.guix-profile".  So,
for example, if you do "guix package -i magit", next time you run Guix's
Emacs, it will automatically find magit package, so you can use "M-x
magit-status" right away.

>     OK, so Fedora's Emacs has a bigger font (19 against 13).
>
>     You can use something like this to set the font and its size:
>
>       (set-frame-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-15" nil t)
>
> you were spot on on this ! In fact evaluating this line made the Guix
> Emacs window exactly equal to the one of the Fedora Emacs !

OK, note that I used "Mono" font while you probably prefer just "DejaVu
Sans".

> Also the Fedora Emacs keeps being a bit brighter

You know, I have another thought about this problem.  Perhaps you use
different versions of zenburn theme: like, for example, you installed
one using Fedora (which is loaded when you run Fedora's Emacs), and also
you installed another zenburn using Emacs package system (and it is
loaded by Guix's Emacs).  Could you look at 'load-path' variable ("C-h v
load-path") and check if there are several ".../zenburn..." directories.

Or better, look if zenburn is listed at "M-x list-load-path-shadows".

Also check the value of 'custom-enabled-themes'.

> But that's not that bad ! The showstopper was the tiny tiny
> minibuffer

OK, at least this is solved now :-)

> And if that's a mistery to you, go figure what it is to me ;-)

He-he :-)

--
Alex

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-17  8:25         ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-17  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: help-guix

Jean Louis (2016-04-16 15:59 +0300) wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 02:52:10PM +0300, Alex Kost wrote:
>> Another thing: I noticed that Guix's Emacs doesn't display some buttons
>> on the tool bar.  This should probably (I'm not sure) be fixed by
>> installing some icon theme in your profile, for example
>> 'adwaita-icon-theme'.
>
> I guess that is due to wrong environment when running emacs.
>
> Check the $XDG_DATA_DIRS to conform to Guix recommended.

This may be the case, indeed!

Catonano, you can set the Guix environment variables by adding the
following line to your "~/.bash_profile":

  source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"

--
Alex

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-17 12:28           ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-17 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

> [...]
> > Yes, the Fedora Emacs has this site-start
> >
> > ;;; loaded before user's ".emacs" file and default.el
> >
> > ;; load *.el and *.elc in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d on
> > startup
> > (mapc
> >  'load
> >  (delete-dups
> >   (mapcar 'file-name-sans-extension
> >           (directory-files
> >            "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d" t "\\.elc?\\
> > '"))))
> > (setq source-directory "/usr/share/emacs/24.5/")
>
> Aha, so it loads elisp files from that "site-start.d" directory.  I
> wonder what files are placed there.  Could you look and show their
> contents please?

Yes

$ ls /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/
desktop-entry-mode-init.el  git-init.el

$ cat /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/desktop-entry-mode-init.el
(autoload 'desktop-entry-mode "desktop-entry-mode" "Desktop Entry mode" t)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.desktop\\(\\.in\\)?$" .
desktop-entry-mode))

$ cat /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/git-init.el
;; Git VC backend
(add-to-list 'vc-handled-backends 'GIT t)
(autoload 'git-status "git" "GIT mode." t)
(autoload 'git-blame-mode "git-blame"
     "Minor mode for incremental blame for Git." t)

I was expecting something explaining the difference in the fotns sizes. But
that must be somewhere else

> > and the Guix Emacs has
> >
> > (require 'guix-emacs nil t)
>
> Right, this is used to find emacs packages in "~/.guix-profile".  So,
> for example, if you do "guix package -i magit", next time you run Guix's
> Emacs, it will automatically find magit package, so you can use "M-x
> magit-status" right away.

Ok, ok, I get it

> >     OK, so Fedora's Emacs has a bigger font (19 against 13).
> >
> >     You can use something like this to set the font and its size:
> >
> >       (set-frame-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-15" nil t)
> >
> > you were spot on on this ! In fact evaluating this line made the Guix
> > Emacs window exactly equal to the one of the Fedora Emacs !
>
> OK, note that I used "Mono" font while you probably prefer just "DejaVu
> Sans".

Note taken. Thanks

> > Also the Fedora Emacs keeps being a bit brighter
>
> You know, I have another thought about this problem.  Perhaps you use
> different versions of zenburn theme: like, for example, you installed
> one using Fedora (which is loaded when you run Fedora's Emacs), and also
> you installed another zenburn using Emacs package system (and it is
> loaded by Guix's Emacs).  Could you look at 'load-path' variable ("C-h v
> load-path") and check if there are several ".../zenburn..." directories.
>
> Or better, look if zenburn is listed at "M-x list-load-path-shadows".
>
> Also check the value of 'custom-enabled-themes'.

For the Fedora Emacs
No Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found

 For the Guix Emacs

/home/catonano/.emacs.d/elpa/dash-20151216.1315/dash hides
/home/catonano/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/dash-2.12.1/dash
/home/catonano/.emacs.d/elpa/dash-20151216.1315/dash-autoloads hides
/home/catonano/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/dash-2.12.1/dash-autoloads
/home/catonano/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix-emacs hides
/gnu/store/95zc1fvm6dycmn0ahfcd61vq2yyr1b8v-emacs-24.5/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/guix-emacs

3 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found

For both Emacses
"Its value is (zenburn)
Original value was nil"

Look, I installed zenburn with the Fedora Emacs packages machinery, before
even attempting to install Guix

It's in my .emacs.d folder and it's commong among the 2 Emacses

Rather, I'd come up with this hypothesis

The Fedora Emacs is buit against Gtk+ version 3.18.9
The Guix Emacs is built against Gtk+ version 3.18.2

So I read in the respective splash files

Maybe the slight difference in versions might explain the difference in
brightness ?

> And if that's a mistery to you, go figure what it is to me ;-)
>
> He-he :-)

I have at least an hypothesis now ;-)

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-17 12:45           ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-17 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

> Jean Louis (2016-04-16 15:59 +0300) wrote:
>

> > I guess that is due to wrong environment when running emacs.
> >
> > Check the $XDG_DATA_DIRS to conform to Guix recommended.
>
> This may be the case, indeed!
>
> Catonano, you can set the Guix environment variables by adding the
> following line to your "~/.bash_profile":
>
>   source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
>
> --
> Alex

Thanks to you both. The missing icons don't bother me much, but since we're
at it, here we go

The line

source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"

already is in my .bash_profile file

The $PATH contains a bunch of guix related paths (starting with
/home/catonano/.guix-profile/bin: ... )

But the .guix-profile/etc/profile file doesn't even mention any
XDG_DATA_DIRS variable

In fact, echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS shows an empty line

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-17 15:45             ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-17 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano (2016-04-17 15:45 +0300) wrote:

>     Jean Louis (2016-04-16 15:59 +0300) wrote:
>

>     > I guess that is due to wrong environment when running emacs.
>     >
>     > Check the $XDG_DATA_DIRS to conform to Guix recommended.
>
>     This may be the case, indeed!
>
>     Catonano, you can set the Guix environment variables by adding
>     the
>     following line to your "~/.bash_profile":
>
>       source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
>
> Thanks to you both. The missing icons don't bother me much, but since
> we're at it, here we go
>
> The line
>
> source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
>
> already is in my .bash_profile file
>
> The $PATH contains a bunch of guix related paths (starting with /home
> /catonano/.guix-profile/bin: ... )
>
> But the .guix-profile/etc/profile file doesn't even mention any
> XDG_DATA_DIRS variable

Yes, sorry, "~/.guix-profile/etc/profile" doesn't set XDG variables.
You need to set it manually like this:

  export XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.guix-profile/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS"

Do icons appear after this?

> In fact, echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS shows an empty line

This is surprising.  Usually distros set it to "/usr/share", but it is
probably not important as it's a default xdg data directory.

--
Alex

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-17 15:58             ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-17 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano (2016-04-17 15:28 +0300) wrote:

[...]
>     Aha, so it loads elisp files from that "site-start.d" directory.
>     wonder what files are placed there.  Could you look and show
>     their
>     contents please?
>
> $ ls /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/
> desktop-entry-mode-init.el  git-init.el
>
> $ cat /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/
> desktop-entry-mode-init.el
> (autoload 'desktop-entry-mode "desktop-entry-mode" "Desktop Entry
> mode" t)
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.desktop\\(\\.in\\)?$" .
> desktop-entry-mode))
>
> $ cat /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/git-init.el
> ;; Git VC backend
> (add-to-list 'vc-handled-backends 'GIT t)
> (autoload 'git-status "git" "GIT mode." t)
> (autoload 'git-blame-mode "git-blame"
>      "Minor mode for incremental blame for Git." t)
>
> I was expecting something explaining the difference in the fotns
> sizes. But that must be somewhere else

Yeah, these files look harmless.

>     > Also the Fedora Emacs keeps being a bit brighter
>
>     You know, I have another thought about this problem.  Perhaps you
>     use
>     different versions of zenburn theme: like, for example, you
>     installed
>     one using Fedora (which is loaded when you run Fedora's Emacs),
>     and also
>     you installed another zenburn using Emacs package system (and it
>     is
>     loaded by Guix's Emacs).  Could you look at 'load-path' variable
>     ("C-h v
>     load-path") and check if there are several ".../zenburn..."
>     directories.
>
>     Or better, look if zenburn is listed at "M-x
>     list-load-path-shadows".
>
>     Also check the value of 'custom-enabled-themes'.
>

> For the Fedora Emacs
> No Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
>

>  For the Guix Emacs
>
> /home/catonano/.emacs.d/elpa/dash-20151216.1315/dash hides /home/
> catonano/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/dash-2.12.1/dash
> /home/catonano/.emacs.d/elpa/dash-20151216.1315/dash-autoloads hides
> /home/catonano/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/dash-2.12.1
> /dash-autoloads
> /home/catonano/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix-emacs hides /
> gnu/store/95zc1fvm6dycmn0ahfcd61vq2yyr1b8v-emacs-24.5/share/emacs/
> 24.5/site-lisp/guix-emacs
>
> 3 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
>

> For both Emacses
> "Its value is (zenburn)
> Original value was nil"
>
> Look, I installed zenburn with the Fedora Emacs packages machinery,
> before even attempting to install Guix
>
> It's in my .emacs.d folder and it's commong among the 2 Emacses

Yes, this is very strange.  Since it is the same theme, it should look
the same on both Emacses.

> Rather, I'd come up with this hypothesis
>
> The Fedora Emacs is buit against Gtk+ version 3.18.9
> The Guix Emacs is built against Gtk+ version 3.18.2
>
> So I read in the respective splash files
>
> Maybe the slight difference in versions might explain the difference
> in brightness ?

I don't believe this can be a cause.  GTK should effect only the
appearance of such things as menu-bar, toolbar and scroll bars.  But,
well, I don't have any other idea to explain the difference.

BTW, did you try some other themes?  I would check if this difference in
brightness happens with other themes or not.

--
Alex

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-17 17:33               ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-17 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

> > I was expecting something explaining the difference in the fotns
> > sizes. But that must be somewhere else
>
> Yeah, these files look harmless.

God knows where the different font sizes come from

> Maybe the slight difference in versions might explain the difference
>
> in brightness ?
>
> I don't believe this can be a cause.  GTK should effect only the
> appearance of such things as menu-bar, toolbar and scroll bars.  But,
> well, I don't have any other idea to explain the difference.
>
> BTW, did you try some other themes?  I would check if this difference in
> brightness happens with other themes or not

Ok, Alex, I wanna thank you so much for your help. Really

Now, as for testing a different theme in Emacs, I would defer this attempt
to a later time.

I don't feel like messing with 2 Emacses right now ;-)

I'll report here as soon as I bring myself onto this themes test ;-)

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-17 17:35               ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-17 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

  export XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.guix-profile/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS"

> Do icons appear after this?

Yes, they do ;-) Thanks to the both of you, Alex and Jean Louis !

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-18 12:39                 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-18 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

>   export XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.guix-profile/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS"
>>
>> Do icons appear after this?
>>

> Yes, they do ;-) Thanks to the both of you, Alex and Jean Louis !

I have some news about this

Suddenly I couldn't log in anymore as catonano. The login window didn't let
the desktopo come up, rather it popped up again and again

I logged in as root and saw some gvfs and gsettings segfaults in the dmesg
output.

The only new thing was the XDG_DATA_DIRS setting, so I commented it and
than I could log in again as catonano

Of course Emacs icons aren't there anymore, but I can live with that. I
didn't use them anyway

While looking for a solution I also found this

$ cat ./.config/user-dirs.dirs
# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
#
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Scrivania"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Scaricati"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Modelli"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Pubblici"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documenti"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Musica"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Immagini"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Video"

There's no XDG_DATA_DIRS so you wouldn't immediately think of any conflict

It worked again after commenting that setting nonetheless.

Just for your reference

* Re: guix installed Emacs
@ 2016-04-18 19:29                   ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-18 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano (2016-04-18 15:39 +0300) wrote:

> I have some news about this
>
> Suddenly I couldn't log in anymore as catonano. The login window
> didn't let the desktopo come up, rather it popped up again and again
>
> I logged in as root and saw some gvfs and gsettings segfaults in the
> dmesg output.
>
> The only new thing was the XDG_DATA_DIRS setting, so I commented it
> and than I could log in again as catonano

Ouch, I think this could happen just because Fedora doesn't set a
default value of xdg variables.  So when some program sees that
XDG_DATA_DIRS is set, it doesn't use /usr/share anymore.  So the problem
you faced will probably be fixed if you also append /usr/share to
XDG_DATA_DIRS.  I would do it like this:

  # Set XDG variables to default values if needed.
  [ ! -v XDG_DATA_DIRS ] && [ -d /usr/share ] && export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share
  [ ! -v XDG_CONFIG_DIRS ] && [ -d /etc/xdg ] && export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg

@ 2016-04-18 21:08                     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-04-18 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix