all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shepherd, default /etc/shepherd.scm for other distributions
@ 2016-04-12 11:52 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-04-12 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

According to the page https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/ this
mailing list should be right for shepherd.

Shepherd could be a good replacement on other GNU/Linux distributions
for the PID 1 and management of various services. It is now used in
GuixSD, which is good.

I am searching for a sample shepherd /etc/shepherd.scm to be run on
other distributions. If anyone has such file, just a sample, for one
service, with the recent shepherd version, let me know. It would be
enough

The provided file from wolfgang is no go by default.

Further, I have seen difference between version 0.3 and 0.3.1, which,
which I have run with:

./configure --prefix= --datarootdir=/usr/share

If it is to be used on other distributions, datarootdir is a must, as
otherwise it goes to /share. I guess the configure is missing and
tar.gz package is not yet finished for other systems to adopt it.

shepherd is installed in /bin, maybe should be in /sbin similarly
like /sbin/init.

My configure also gave me 2 versions of files:

diff /bin/shepherd (0.3.1)  /media/out/bin/shepherd (0.3)
5,6c5,6
< (set! %load-path (cons "/sources/shepherd-0.3/modules" %load-path))
< (set! %load-compiled-path (cons "/sources/shepherd-0.3/modules"
%load-compiled-path))
---
> (set! %load-path (cons "/usr/share/guile/site/2.0" %load-path))
> (set! %load-compiled-path (cons "/usr/share/guile/site/2.0"
> %load-compiled-path))

I guess it should by default put "/sources/..." in load-path but rather
as in the 0.3 version "/usr/share/guile/site/2.0".

Jean Louis

* Re: shepherd, default /etc/shepherd.scm for other distributions
@ 2016-04-12 18:21 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-12 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: guix-devel

Jean Louis (2016-04-12 14:52 +0300) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> According to the page https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/ this
> mailing list should be right for shepherd.
>
> Shepherd could be a good replacement on other GNU/Linux distributions
> for the PID 1 and management of various services. It is now used in
> GuixSD, which is good.
>
> I am searching for a sample shepherd /etc/shepherd.scm to be run on
> other distributions. If anyone has such file, just a sample, for one
> service, with the recent shepherd version, let me know. It would be
> enough.

I don't think anyone uses shepherd as PID 1 on non-GuixSD system, though
some people use it to manage user services (see below).  For a system
config example you may look at "/var/guix/profiles/system/boot" on
GuixSD: there is a link to "/gnu/store/…-shepherd.conf" file.

User Shepherd configs I'm aware of:

https://github.com/alezost/shepherd-config
https://git.dthompson.us/dotfiles.git/blob/HEAD:/dotfiles/.config/shepherd/init.scm

--
Alex

* Re: shepherd, default /etc/shepherd.scm for other distributions
@ 2016-04-12 22:11 ` David Michael
From: David Michael @ 2016-04-12 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com> wrote:
> I am searching for a sample shepherd /etc/shepherd.scm to be run on
> other distributions. If anyone has such file, just a sample, for one
> service, with the recent shepherd version, let me know. It would be
> enough

If you just want to see a harebrained example, this is what I am
currently using with non-Guix Shepherd version 0.3.1 (warning: on
Hurd).  It basically attempts to reproduce the system initialization
shell script from upstream Hurd, with a few ideas from other init
systems mixed into it.

http://paste.fedoraproject.org/354821/14604969/

It reads its service definitions from a drop-in configuration
directory that packages can write into when they're installed.  Here
are the contents of a few of those files.

http://paste.fedoraproject.org/354822/97563146/

David

* Re: shepherd, default /etc/shepherd.scm for other distributions
@ 2016-04-13 18:09   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-04-13 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Michael; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello David,

Thank you much, that is a way to start implementing it on other
systems.

Jean Louis