On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 21:32:22 +0100 Ricardo Wurmus wrote: > Hi Guix, > > should we install headers to separate outputs as we do it in some cases > for really large documentation? It seems wrong to me to download > substitutes for libraries when at build time only certain headers are > needed. > > Other distributions have separate “*-devel” or “*-dev” packages (and I’m > ambivalent about this) — would it be a bad idea if we provided “devel” > or “dev” *outputs* so that users had more control over what ends up in > their store? > > I’m not writing this because I’m annoyed by the current behaviour — I’m > just curious. > > ~~ Ricardo I thought a bit about it before and I don't really think it'll save that much space. Most of the time the headers are a small part of the total package, and the fine-tuning that comes with chosing exactly which outputs from a build process you actually want seem like they should be left as encouragement for people to hack their systems. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted