all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Updating Guix requires full rebuild?
@ 2016-01-30 10:06 Jookia
From: Jookia @ 2016-01-30 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hey there,

I've been compiling and installing Guix without any substitutes, however I've
hit a problem. I've managed to compile Guix, then compile Guix using Guix. But
when I try to do anything using the Guix managed by Guix, it wants to rebuild
everything on my system. I've uploaded some raw data,[1] comparing the outputs
of the old and new Guix binaries and accompanying binaries as well as with and
without the --bootstrap flag. The package being inspected is 'tar'.

It would seem like this is a major problem considering both Guix packages are
identical aside from the host code having the Guix package derivation updated
to use the same Git version as the host version of Guix. The tar packages aren't
modified in any way and neither is any thing I would expect to be used to build
a derivation, such as a builder script.

Cheers,
Jookia.

[1]: uhoh.tar.bz2: https://infotomb.com/2dp3c

* Re: Updating Guix requires full rebuild?
@ 2016-01-31  9:37 ` Jookia
From: Jookia @ 2016-01-31  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 09:06:42PM +1100, Jookia wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I've been compiling and installing Guix without any substitutes, however I've
> hit a problem. I've managed to compile Guix, then compile Guix using Guix. But
> when I try to do anything using the Guix managed by Guix, it wants to rebuild
> everything on my system. I've uploaded some raw data,[1] comparing the outputs
> of the old and new Guix binaries and accompanying binaries as well as with and
> without the --bootstrap flag. The package being inspected is 'tar'.
>
> It would seem like this is a major problem considering both Guix packages are
> identical aside from the host code having the Guix package derivation updated
> to use the same Git version as the host version of Guix. The tar packages aren't
> modified in any way and neither is any thing I would expect to be used to build
> a derivation, such as a builder script.
>
> Cheers,
> Jookia.
>
> [1]: uhoh.tar.bz2: https://infotomb.com/2dp3c

Following up: davexunit looked at this issue with me on IRC and showed me it's
to do with the Guix built from Git in Debian using /usr/local/var/guix while the
Guix installed using Guix used /var/guix - moving the files fixed everything.

Cheers,
Jookia.

* Re: Updating Guix requires full rebuild?
@ 2016-02-01 13:45   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-01 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jookia; +Cc: help-guix

Jookia <166291@gmail.com> skribis:

> Following up: davexunit looked at this issue with me on IRC and showed me it's
> to do with the Guix built from Git in Debian using /usr/local/var/guix while the
> Guix installed using Guix used /var/guix - moving the files fixed everything.

Oh.  You need to be *very* careful with this because
/var/guix/db/db.sqlite contains the metadata that says what’s valid and
what’s not in /gnu/store.

If you run a guix-daemon instance that uses the wrong database, you
could lost stuff in /gnu/store.

Ludo’.