all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* boost 1-60
@ 2016-01-06 23:33 carl hansen
From: carl hansen @ 2016-01-06 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I see from guix-devel boost-1.60 is now included.

guix package -i boost,
but I get 1.58
I do a
guix pull;guix package -i boost
and still don't get 1.60

What am I doing wrong?

* Re: boost 1-60
@ 2016-01-07 22:53 ` Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2016-01-07 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carl hansen, help-guix

Hi Carl,

On 07/01/16 09:33, carl hansen wrote:
> I see from guix-devel boost-1.60 is now included.
Actually Boost 1.60 has not yet been included in the master branch, so
pulling will not grab it. If you wish to use it then you will either
need to apply the patches sent to the mailing list yourself, or wait the
patches have been integrated into master.

Thanks,
ben

* Re: boost 1-60
@ 2016-01-08  0:30   ` carl hansen
From: carl hansen @ 2016-01-08  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Woodcroft; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
> On 07/01/16 09:33, carl hansen wrote:
>
> I see from guix-devel boost-1.60 is now included.
>
> Actually Boost 1.60 has not yet been included in the master branch, so
> pulling will not grab it. If you wish to use it then you will either need
> to apply the patches sent to the mailing list yourself, or wait the patches
> have been integrated into master.
>
> Thanks,
> ben

Ok thanks for your replys, Ben and Eric.
I'm just trying to figure out how the systems of guix and hydra work..
When do changes get applied to 'master'?

I did guix refresh
and I see 200 packages can be updated. Can that be automated? It's kind of
annoying to get not up to date packages, especially to obsessive/compulsive
geeks.

* Re: boost 1-60
@ 2016-01-08  2:38     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-01-08  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carl hansen; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 04:30:02PM -0800, carl hansen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi Carl,
> >
> > On 07/01/16 09:33, carl hansen wrote:
> >
> > I see from guix-devel boost-1.60 is now included.
> >
> > Actually Boost 1.60 has not yet been included in the master branch, so
> > pulling will not grab it. If you wish to use it then you will either need
> > to apply the patches sent to the mailing list yourself, or wait the patches
> > have been integrated into master.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ben
> >

> Ok thanks for your replys, Ben and Eric.
> I'm just trying to figure out how the systems of guix and hydra work..
> When do changes get applied to 'master'?

What you saw on the mailing list was a work-in-progress patch under
review. When the patch is approved and applied to the master branch of
the Guix git repo [0], you can see it in the log.

At that time, you can update your package definitions like this...
$ guix pull

Then, to update all the packages in your profile, do
$ guix package --upgrade

To upgrade only package 'foo', do
$ guix package --upgrade foo

If you are familiar with Debian, Ubuntu, or Linux Mint:
apt-get update  == guix pull
apt-get upgrade == guix package --upgrade

> I did guix refresh
> and I see 200 packages can be updated. Can that be automated? It's kind of
> annoying to get not up to date packages, especially to obsessive/compulsive
> geeks.

`guix refresh` doesn't need to be used here. Use `guix package` for
installing, upgrading, and removing software.

[0]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git
There is also a guix-commits mailing list that emails you the git log.

* Re: boost 1-60
@ 2016-01-08 10:10       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-08 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 04:30:02PM -0800, carl hansen wrote:

[...]

>> I did guix refresh
>> and I see 200 packages can be updated. Can that be automated? It's kind of
>> annoying to get not up to date packages, especially to obsessive/compulsive
>> geeks.
>
> `guix refresh` doesn't need to be used here. Use `guix package` for
> installing, upgrading, and removing software.

And ‘guix pull’ to update the package definitions available at your
site (similar to ‘apt-get update’.)

‘guix refresh’ is a helper for Guix developers, as mentioned in the
manual (info "(guix) Invoking guix refresh").

Ludo’.

* Re: boost 1-60
@ 2016-01-08 21:34         ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-01-08 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:10:09AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> ‘guix refresh’ is a helper for Guix developers, as mentioned in the
> manual (info "(guix) Invoking guix refresh").

But you are invited to become a Guix developer, Carl, by submitting patches
to this mailing list!

Andreas