* Andreas Enge [2015-12-27 10:48:32+0100] > On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 12:20:27PM +0300, Dmitry Bogatov wrote: > > Currently, I am at master branch. I want install parallel-20151122. > > But it is gone since 0877e. I propose to keep *all* versions, > > but just 'parallel' refer to latest. > > This would be a nightmare to maintain. And what do you do about security > updates? If libfoo-1.1.7 fixes a critical security bug, who would backport > this to libfoo-1.0.x and libfoo-1.1.0 to libfoo-1.1.6? Drop old versions, or provide a warning to user in such emergency case. After all, user have right to believe, that this particular bug is not relevant to him > Then there is the combinatorial explosion. If you have 20 libraries in > 10 versions each that are needed to build a derived binary, then there > will be 10^20 possible combinations. Which of them would you like to > support? Build binaries with latest versions of libraries and compilers. > Our general policy is to keep only the latest version, except for special > cases where people see a point in keeping older versions (script languages, > libraries like qt with two major versions supported in parallel, and so on). > What is your use case? If you want reproducibility, it could make sense > to simply stick to a given git commit. If you just need a particular older My use case is that I want to be able to install every version of any haskell library and every version of ghc for testing purposes. For example, I write code, that uses ghc-7.10 with lens-4.13. Will it work with ghc-7.6(Debian stable) and lens-4.1.2.1? This versions are important to me, but some other person may have another reference. Yes, there is combinatorics, but not too terrible. ~1000 packages, 4 ghc versions -> 4000 variables. Ah, and I do not propose to actually support, for example, ghc7.6-lens-4.13. If it fails to build, that it is dropped. Some kind of automatization and integration with hydra would be useful. PS. Let's also discuss Emacs 'load-path'. -- Accept: text/plain, text/x-diff Accept-Language: eo,en,ru X-Keep-In-CC: yes X-Web-Site: sinsekvu.github.io