On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:14:24 +0200 Andreas Enge wrote: > Hello, > > On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 04:56:55PM +0300, Efraim Flashner wrote: > > I saw that mplayer 1.2 came out recently. I wanted to make sure that the patch was good as is, and shouldn't be split. Since the last release, libdvdnav and libdvdcss are no longer packaged, so I added them to the inputs. Also, I found the config flag to use the shared ffmpeg library, so I added that in, and I took out the depreciated config flag that was there before. > > mplayer 1.2 will build with just the flag removed, but it seemed to me that we didn't want to use the bundled ffmpeg so I tossed it and the two libdvds in. > > this is an overall useful patch! I executed > $ guix gc --references /gnu/store/wadr15hfyvcn4zg2zj2ygqb8ypkzsg48-mplayer-1.2 > and indeed libvorbis is referenced, so the flag you removed is apparently > not needed any more. my first hint was the compile error it gave when I first tried to leave it in :) > > However, there is no trace of libdvd*. Looking at the build log on hydra: > http://hydra.gnu.org/build/756649/log/raw > I find: > Checking for DVD support (libdvdnav) ... no > Could you have a look at what went wrong, and whether we need a configuration > flag? we shouldn't need to have one: efraim@debian-netbook:~/mplayer-export-2015-10-23$ grep dvd configure --disable-dvdnav disable libdvdnav [autodetect] --disable-dvdread disable libdvdread [autodetect] but later in the guts of configure ... echocheck "dvdread" if test "$_dvdread" = auto ; then _dvdread=no _dvdreadcflags=$($_dvdreadconfig --cflags 2> /dev/null) _dvdreadlibs=$($_dvdreadconfig --libs 2> /dev/null) if statement_check dvdread/dvd_reader.h 'DVDOpen("test")' $_dvdreadcflags $_dvdreadlibs ; then _dvdread=yes extra_cflags="$extra_cflags $_dvdreadcflags" extra_ldflags="$extra_ldflags $_dvdreadlibs" fi fi if the spacing on "_dvdread=no" is a problem then it skips the next few lines and never actually checks for dvdread/dvd_reader.h. (todo: create an alternate, fixed version to test theory, and pass patch upstream if necessary) it turns out there are lots of --enable/--disable flags, for just about everything, so i'll pass it --enable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav and see how that works. > > Maybe it would also be good to remove the bundled ffmpeg copy from the > source, using a snippet. the flag "--disable-ffmpeg_a" does work for disabling the bundled ffmpeg; the first time I built it I hadn't added the flag, and the build time was ~40 minutes instead of ~4. I think I just had poor/ambiguous phrasing in my email. > > Is there any other bundled software? looking in the source directory I see folders for libaf, libao2, libass (which I'm still sure I'm reading wrong), libmenu, libmcodecs, libmpdemux, libmpeg2 and libvo. from looking through the configure more, I found this snippet: if cc_check -lass ; then res_comment="external" extra_ldflags="$extra_ldflags -lass" elif test "$ass_internal" = auto ; then ass_internal=yes else _ass=no fi so it looks like there's still a considerable amount of work left to check for these and potentially other libraries. Looking at the source code quickly I don't see an ffmpeg folder dumped somewhere so I think I'm going to need to read configure closely to see what else it tries to bundle. Bundling libraries makes the compiled binary larger, so I think I'll be building this a bunch more times taking out all the bundled libraries. I'll take another look at the configure file (wc -l configure=9501!!), but it is pretty big so I'll attach it also for that whole more eyes thing. Its from the most recent source snapshot, but its also only about 2 weeks after release, so it should be close enough to the one we're using. ACTUALLY, this is a big enough project that I've downloaded the 1.2 release to work against, and I see the ffmpeg folder now. I've included that configure instead of the snapshot one, and I think that's the only big difference. I'd go back and change the email to reflect that now I'm working on the correct snapshot (the release "snapshot"), but that's how I normally make my emails incomprehensible. :) > > Thanks for your work! > > Andreas > Looking at the todo list, I feel like it was just part 1 to update the version number, but that we're probably not worse off with bundled libraries than we were before. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted