On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 09:05:37AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >Tomáš Čech skribis: > >> On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 10:49:37PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >>>tcech@suse.cz skribis: >>> >>>> With guix at revision df81e046c57e5f767738113e4e7a28b212c03d63 I tried >>>> to deploy Guix to another partition. >>> >>>Do you mean that you wanted to use a different root partition than the >>>one that was being used? >> >> Yes. I am running from my Gentoo `guix system init -c 3 /guix' where /guix is >> different partition planned to be booted as root filesystem for GuixSD. > >OK. > >>>> Result system installed Grub into partition but did not copied it's >>>> store to /gnu/store/ on target partition. >>> >>>Indeed, ‘guix system reconfigure’ assumes that the root partition >>>remains the same and does not try to copy the store. >> >> I'm runnning `guix system init' though. > >Yeah your expectations for ‘guix system reconfigure’ were too high I >guess. ;-) I'm afraid that I don't understand the relation between `guix system init' and `guix system reconfigure' you insist on. My understanding was, that `guix system init' will create new system in subdirectory as it is described in manual (6.1.4 Proceeding with the Installation). >Seriously, I don’t think we’d want it to automagically migrate the >store. How does it differ from building new VM image? >Maybe it could check whether the root partition in the OS declaration is >the same as the one that holds the current store, but I’m not sure if >that can be done reliably. Thoughts? Again, I'm afraid we misunderstood each other. One thing is that you can expose it to configuration and let user configure it correctly. I was already thinking that I'm wasting disk space with two copies of /gnu/store on my computer (on Gentoo and on GuixSD). I may sound like Cpt. Obvious here, but you can also be sure that store is elsewhere if you need to create /gnu/store directory... And also note that it worked for me for every package but grub. My opinion is that grub binaries are not part of %base-packages or similar package set and noone noticed until now because grub was installed from different distribution. I hope I made it a bit more clear now. Best regards and thanks, S_W