Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 17-03-2022 om 09:24 [+0100]: > In any case, I've added Maxime to CC so they can have a closer look at > it. I have been more-or-less ignoring the ZFS patches since some time after . If ZFS people(^), after a disagreement about licensing concerns, directly jump to accusations of gaslighting and sabogate, completely ignoring my previous arguments (*) without trying to refute any of them or bringing new arguments, then I don't want to be involved with ZFS. (^) So far only Mason Loring Bliss, _not_ raid5atemyhomework! Also, the various ‘work-arounds’ around the GPL<->CDLL incompatibility still seem super fishy to me even if they _might_ be technically correct. To me, this makes reviewing the code practically pointless -- why review the zfs service patches if they will have to be reverted due to incompatibility concerns anyway? Summarised: * The ‘Oracle does not care so no legal risk’ argument: - Oracle might not care, but there are other parties involved as well (e.g. the Linux people and contributors to OpenZFS). - Not getting caught doesn't mean things are above board. It just means you haven't got caught, and you might get caught later. - Has anyone actually ever asked Oracle for some official ‘yes, go ahead’ / ‘no, here's a DMCA notice / see you at YYYY-MM-DD in court’ / ‘no, but you're too small fry to bother so you'll get away for it ... for now’ response? AFAICT, this has not been done. - Even if it would be very strange for Oracle to try to stop (the Linux part of(*)) OpenZFS, why would that stop Oracle and how would the odd behaviour actually legally matter? * The ‘zfs package is already in Guix’ argument (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45692#47): then it should be reverted when the incompatibility is discovered. Also, the incompatibility issue has been noted before: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00404.html though it appears to have been forgotten in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2019-12/msg00543.html presumably because different people were involved? * The ‘Guix is not distributing the source code, it's only pointing to the source code’ argument: - We do distribute the source code, at https://ci.guix.gnu.org - probably also via our friends at SWH - and via the Wayback Machine fallback - possibly also to any Guix users on the local network, when using '--advertise' and '--discover' - and by delegating the distributing to the OpenZFS project - even if pointing to the tarball OpenZFS web would not count as distribution, assuming there's a license incompatibility (and hence, the Linux part of OpenZFS is illegal (*), wouldn't this pointing count as facilitation of a crime (or misdemeanor or contract breach or whatever's the local terminology), wouldn't this make Guix or individuals behind Guix accomplishes? - even if it's all legal, what about freedom 3 -- the freedom to distribute the program? - also, not being able to distribute the source code by ourselves seems rather inconvenient * The ‘we're not doing binary distribution’ argument: - That seems rather inconvenient, why not use BTRFS instead which seems quite capable and doesn't have this weird restriction? - Freedom 3 is: ‘The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).’ Guix redistributes copies is a convenient form, to help all users (‘others’). To help the users, it not only redistributes in source form, but also in binary form (substitutes). But the CDDL+GPL combination stops us from helping others by redistributing binary copies! Basically, if there's the freedom to redistribute copies, shouldn't this include _binary_ copies, especially when binaries are convenient? - We _are_ doing binary distribution: (here, ‘we’ includes all relevant users of Guix) An uninitiated user might do "guix system image ..." to produce an image (that happens to include a binary ZFS), dutifully uses "guix build --sources=transitive" and share the sources+binary with other people, and accidentally commit a violation. All the initrd, system image and "guix pack" would need to propagate unsubstitutability (and the top-level tools might need to error out) and this needs to be tested, AFAIK this has not been done. * The ‘we're not distributing _modified_ source code’ argument: Freedom 4! We should be able to (legally) distribute modified source code as well. * Various ’technically, because of Section 1 (bis) alpha Z of this license, Paragraph 2 beta 3 of that license, this and that clause do not apply’ arguments: This seems to be missing the spirit, and the law is, to my limited knowledge, not a deterministic automaton with an exact mathematical formulation without any bit flips. Greetings, Maxime. (*) The BSD modules are presumably fine though (unverified)! But Guix does _not_ (currently) support BSDs.