Op 21-08-2023 om 16:30 schreef Attila Lendvai: > ok, i see why this won't work. > > CC=(cc-for-target) is fine for packages, but the use-case that i'd like to facilitate is `guix shell gcc-toolchain some-other-deps` and then build a project manually from the opened shell. > > any ideas how to help/handle that use-case without disrupting cross-compilation for packages? > IIUC, gcc-toolchain isn't used for "guix build" (I'm not really sure though), so if that's your use case, your current patch would work without problems w.r.t. cross-compilation. Rhetorical question: why didn't I think of this when writing my previous message? However, (assuming my assumption about gcc-toolchain is correct), applying the patch would create a discrepancy between the build environment from "guix build/guix shell -D ..." and "guix shell gcc-toolchain more-deps", which isn't nice and is potentially confusing. I was going to suggest that the solution would be to modify your script to look for TARGET-cc when cross-compiling, but while that would be an improvement it wouldn't solve anything as Guix doesn't have TARGET-cc. For an alternate proposal (which I think has been proposed before, but I don't recall where), it might be possible to create 'symlink' packages "symlink-cc-gcc" and "symlink-cc-clang", that respectively have the cc->gcc and cc->clang symlink (also cc->clang should be removed from the clang package, otherwise there is a collision and a preference for clang). (I'm thinking of Debian's alternative system, but simplified (no priorities!) and based on packages.) For --with-c-toolchain (*) (**) and the cross-compilation issue I mentioned, these should be forbidden for use in Guix packages (as in, "guix lint" doesn't like it/not accepted in Guix proper, if some other channel does it anyway, it's not recommended, but also not really any of Guix' concern). (*) I don't know if clang and cross-compilation is supported yet by --with-c-toolchain. (**) though with-c-toolchain isn't truly a concern, as it could simply adjust the symlink inputs ... (I have the impression that I previously was against such symlink packages, but I don't recall actually writing a message about it.) Best regards, Maxime Devos.