all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com>
To: Guix Help <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: On youtube-viewer first use (GTK)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 13:49:59 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello,

I've seen some mentions of this application around here and wanted to try it out. When you launch it, it seems to be broken, you can search videos, but you can't watch them (you double-click on them and nothing happens). I had to start "gtk-youtube-viewer" from a terminal to check for errors. I had a bad experience, but, in summary, I'm now able to watch the videos after doing the following:

1. Install "youtube-dl".
2. Install one of the players listed in the "video_players" field in the application "Menu → Preferences" (I went with mpv, after failing to use vlc).
3. Got to "Menu → Preferences" and set the value of "video_player_selected" to the player installed in (2).

I wonder if you are really supposed to configure and install dependencies manually before you can actually use the application. I see this as a bug. I would expect the Guix package to install the dependencies and the application set a default value for the "video_player_selected" field. But I haven't tried this application in other systems and the application has no manual, so I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior.

Despite that, I'm glad to be able to watch YouTube videos without using their Web interface.

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/