I have tried updating my local   directory with 'nix-channel --update'.   No change; the full nix-instantiate command does not terminate.   The git commit of (in /home/paul/.nix- defexpr/channels/nixpkgs/.version-suffix) is now 497e6d2. Also, if I remove '--strict' from the nix-instantiate command I get:          Terse##SELECTION_END##! but at least the process completes. I have noticed that the non-termination problem is not confined to the opencascage_oce package.  If I try  $ nix-instantiate --strict --eval --xml -A guile /home/paul/.nix- defexpr/channels/nixpkgs that does not terminate either. Best, Paul.