all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Weechat doesn't start
@ 2015-11-09 16:27 Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-11-09 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I installed Weechat 1.3 using Guix 0.9.0 on Debian 8, but when I run it
I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 563, in <module>
     main()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 545, in main
     known_paths = addusersitepackages(known_paths)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 272, in addusersitepackages
     user_site = getusersitepackages()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 247, in getusersitepackages
     user_base = getuserbase() # this will also set USER_BASE
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 237, in getuserbase
     USER_BASE = get_config_var('userbase')
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 582, in get_config_var
     return get_config_vars().get(name)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 528, in get_config_vars
     _init_posix(_CONFIG_VARS)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 412, in _init_posix
     from _sysconfigdata import build_time_vars
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/_sysconfigdata.py", line 6, in <module>
     from _sysconfigdata_nd import *
ImportError: No module named _sysconfigdata_nd

I don't understand why is it looking for Python stuff in "/usr" instead
of using my .guix-profile. Although "guix package -I" tells me Python is
not installed. And so "guix package --search-paths" does not show any
Python variables to set.

What could this be?

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

* Re: Weechat doesn't start
@ 2015-11-09 16:56 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2015-11-09 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon 09 Nov 2015 16:27, Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> I don't understand why is it looking for Python stuff in "/usr" instead
> of using my .guix-profile. Although "guix package -I" tells me Python is
> not installed. And so "guix package --search-paths" does not show any
> Python variables to set.

Probably weechat needs a wrapper script installed around it that will
set the PYTHONPATH to what it needs.

Sometimes Guix people don't experience this problem because they have
Python installed in their profile and thus they have a PYTHONPATH set
that happens to work.  That seems to be what has happened in this case.

Making the wrapper script is the job of python-build-system.  Weechat
appears to be built with gnu-build-system.  Not sure what the right
thing to do to fix this is :)

Andy

* Re: Weechat doesn't start
@ 2015-11-11 14:57   ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-11-11 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guix-devel

El lun, 09-11-2015 a las 16:56 +0000, Andy Wingo escribió:
> On Mon 09 Nov 2015 16:27, Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
> > I don't understand why is it looking for Python stuff in "/usr" instead
> > of using my .guix-profile. Although "guix package -I" tells me Python is
> > not installed. And so "guix package --search-paths" does not show any
> > Python variables to set.
>
> Probably weechat needs a wrapper script installed around it that will
> set the PYTHONPATH to what it needs.
>
> Sometimes Guix people don't experience this problem because they have
> Python installed in their profile and thus they have a PYTHONPATH set
> that happens to work.  That seems to be what has happened in this case.
>
> Making the wrapper script is the job of python-build-system.  Weechat
> appears to be built with gnu-build-system.  Not sure what the right
> thing to do to fix this is :)
>
> Andy

Thanks, Andy.

I reported this as a bug.