all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Svetlana Tkachenko <svetlana.tkachenko@fastmail.com>
To: "Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer" <taylanbayirli@gmail.com>,
	"Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro" <oitofelix@gnu.org>
Cc: gnu-system-discuss@gnu.org, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Guix != GNU GSD ==> True
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:45:55 +1100	[thread overview]

Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:
> I suspect that the more "branding" we give to GSD, the more it will
> cause people to see it as "yet another Linux distro" and not understand
> that it's a distribution of GNU.
>
> [...]
>
> We really need a break from, or almost a fight against, this whole
> "distro" culture, which is tied to the "Linux" mindset, and perhaps even
> "open source".

This problem only comes from "Linux distro" phrase. Running a separate "GuixSD" website does not raise this problem.

However, I see many Linux users perceive a distro by what it ships with by default and judge exclusively based on that. In my view this concept needs to be disposed of in favour of them understanding what and how it packages. For the users to know the package manager well, I would expect it to be reasonable to keep the guix package manager and guixSD on a single website, with a single logo, and a single space for documentation (in 1 or 2 files, does not matter).

To add direct image download links to https://gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html, ask webmasters@gnu.org . I would expect that these distros would however remain hosted elsewhere and would not automatically become a part of the GNU project itself.

--
Svetlana Tkachenko