all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Upstream Release Monitoring
@ 2014-09-12  3:31 Jason Self
From: Jason Self @ 2014-09-12  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

With the number of packages available using Guix (and it seems to keep
increasing) keeping up on the latest upstream versions manually is
gonna be a pain. :) Shouldn't the checking be automated in some way?
One idea might be to create a bug in the GNU Bug Tracker when a new
upstream release is detected.

* Re: Upstream Release Monitoring
@ 2014-09-12  3:43 ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-09-12  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Self, guix-devel

Another way might be to create a program that checks all the source repos
of all the packages. When a new package source file with a higher version
number gets uploaded, guix automatically builds the package and uploads it.

@ 2014-09-12  7:19 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-09-12  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Self; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 08:31:00PM -0700, Jason Self wrote:
> With the number of packages available using Guix (and it seems to keep
> increasing) keeping up on the latest upstream versions manually is
> gonna be a pain. :) Shouldn't the checking be automated in some way?
> One idea might be to create a bug in the GNU Bug Tracker when a new
> upstream release is detected.

There is already "guix refresh", but so far it works only for gnu packages;
with the parameter "-u", it even updates the version and hash, so if the
source uri is written using "string-append" and "version", it can update
package recipes automatically.

It would be interesting to generalise this to arbitrary packages. Maybe
an idea for the hackathon?

Andreas

* Re: Upstream Release Monitoring
@ 2014-09-12  7:23   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-09-12  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Self; +Cc: guix-devel

PS: And "guix refresh" lacks the automatic creation of the log message and
    the execution of "git commit" (while I would reserve the "git push"
    for some manual intervention).

* Re: Upstream Release Monitoring
@ 2014-09-12  8:06   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-12  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> There is already "guix refresh", but so far it works only for gnu packages;
> with the parameter "-u", it even updates the version and hash, so if the
> source uri is written using "string-append" and "version", it can update
> package recipes automatically.
>
> It would be interesting to generalise this to arbitrary packages. Maybe
> an idea for the hackathon?

Definitely!

Ludo’.