all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installing info manuals without cluttering my profile.
@ 2024-10-16  8:26 Arnaud Daby-Seesaram
From: Arnaud Daby-Seesaram @ 2024-10-16  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I am trying to install more manuals (info pages), without installing
associated packages in my profile.

My first idea was to use a home service to overwrite INFOPATH.  However,
I do not think that it is sufficient.  For example, the following
commands show unexpected `(top)' nodes.

INFOPATH=$(guix build emacs)/share/info info # Empty (top).

info -d "$(guix build haunt)/share/info"     # No haunt in (top).

An alternative (that I prefer to avoid) would be to write packages that
would copy the info manuals of the packages I need.

Motivation:

I currently use direnv+manifests to setup work environments in different
directories.  However, the info-mode of Emacs is easily lost (the `top'
node is generated with the first INFOPATH the info-mode sees).

This can be annoying when switching profiles, so I would like to add all
info pages that are relevant for me by altering INFOPATH
home-profile-wide.

Best regards,

--
Arnaud

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Installing info manuals without cluttering my profile.
@ 2024-10-16 18:33 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2024-10-16 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Arnaud Daby-Seesaram

Hi Arnaud,

I have a very superficial understanding of Texinfo, but I thought it relied on 'directory' files and not just collections of raw .info files.  In Guix, these are generated by a profile hook.

From <https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Other-Info-Directories.html>:

> The standalone Info reader merges any files named dir in any directory listed in the INFOPATH variable into a single menu presented to you in the node called ‘(dir)Top’.

All I know is that there is no 'dir' file in $(guix build emacs)/share/info.  I think that a package shipping one directly would be wrong.

Were I in your position, I would not manually mess around with environment variables (which is also 'clobbering' your main environment!), but instead maintain a separate Guix profile for my info manuals.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: Installing info manuals without cluttering my profile.
@ 2024-10-16 18:39   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2024-10-16 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Arnaud Daby-Seesaram

s/clobbering/cluttering/, I didn't mean to misquote you.

@ 2024-10-17  7:57   ` Arnaud Daby-Seesaram
From: Arnaud Daby-Seesaram @ 2024-10-17  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix