On 05-10-2022 10:25, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote: > Hi, > > the following patch adds a base gstreamer plugins package with opengl support: Not sure how I received this, as I unsubscribed from guix-patches, but a note: IIUC, you are enabling extra plugins -- so gst-plugins-base-gl also contains the non-gl plugins. Take some non-gl plugin 'foo', of which there is a copy in both gst-plugins-base-gl and gst-plugins-base. This can potentially lead to a situation where an application loads two copies of foo into the same process (of gst-plugins-base and gst-plugins-base-gl). This can lead to bugs, see e.g. . I don't know if gst stuff cares (and maybe gst refuses to load plugins it already has loaded), but it is potentially risky. To avoid this, I propose to let gst-plugins-base-gl _only_ contain plugins that use gl. > + `(("mesa" ,mesa) ;; required for libgstgl Maybe my local Guix is out-of-date, but mesa is already in gst-plugin-base's inputs. If it's actually unused by gst-plugin-base, I suppose it could be removed on core-updates, to avoid the large mesa. > + (inputs > + (modify-inputs (package-inputs gst-plugins-base) > + (append mesa))) ;; required for libgstgl I recommend 'prepend' instead of 'append' for being a tiny bit faster (prepend doesn't need to iterate through the old input list). Also, a modified description and synopsis, to help users deciding between gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-base-gl or both. Greetings, Maxime.